Why is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJack887

Reaction score
My very first batch of beer that I bottled, I didn't have a correct sized butt king wand. As a last resort, I bottled straight from the spigot (I know, I know). But the beer is still drinkable even over two months later, and, oddly enough, there's no yeast sediment in any of the bottles. Why did this happen?

The beauty of bottling is that the yeast uses up any oxygen in the bottle as it carbonates the beer. It's a mini second fermentation.

I didn't have a correct sized butt king wand.

:pipe: This is like, one of the most epic auto-correct's ever!

That said, I also wouldn't have thought that the exposure to oxygen bottling makes any difference anyhow. Bottling straight from the spigot might cause more exposure though with splashing from dropping into the bottle, but apparently it wasn't enough to cause it to noticeably oxidize. As for less sediment, probably had nothing to do with the bottling method, just higher flocculation in the fermenter.

Rev.

For some reason I thought he wrote "I didn't have the right sized f***ing wand". I was like damn buddy, no need to be so upset. One time I had to shove my whole arm in it because the spigot came off the bucket, talk about unsanitary. The beer came out alright.

Latest posts

Back