Why is my Wyeast garbage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msharki

Reaction score
I've brewed many brews using safeale 05 with absolutely no problems and one with a White Labs yeast that was simply volcanic. The last 2 brews I did, I decided to use Wyeast. The first was a Lambic kit. I activated the yeast as instructed, the bag puffed out and I pitched it. 3 weeks later It hasn't done a damn thing! The next week I brewed an ale recipe I came up with that I was going to add raspberries to. 24 hours after pitching, nothing is happening! I decide to bring my regular ale upstairs where it is a bit warmer 70 degrees compared to the 63 degree temp of the basement (in which I have never had a problem with other yeasts). It started fermenting decently. I was getting a perk out of the airlock about every 5 seconds. This continued for one day and then it just QUIT DEAD IT ITS TRACKS. What on earth is going on here? I've had absolutely no activity for 5 days now. Is the yeast junk? I know my fermenter is sealed really well. I'm not sure whether to toss this batch and do another one, or if I can throw some safeale in to finish it.....

What yeast, and how old was it. It's possible you way under pitched at too low temp range for the yeast. I've never had a problem with it.

Smack packs contain about half as many yeast cells as dried yeast sachets. You really should be using a starter when using liquid yeast.

I definitely aerated (as usual). Wyeast claims you don't need a starter with their yeast saying all you need to do is smack the activator open in the pack (it definitely broke on both packages. It swelled up like it should have) As far as how old it was the last one had a Mf date of March 11 and I pitched it on 24. OG was 1.060 SG, FG should be 1.012 SG. What I have right now is 1.036 SG. It ate for 24 hours and just stopped.

Back