Why is my steel co2 cylinder leaving a rust ring on the bottom of my keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
I have an Eva dry and a fan in my keezer, so I have little to no condensation, but my cylinder is still rusting for some reason. Should I just re-paint it with some better rust resistant paint?

There's still some moisture in the air. I have had to re paint mine a few times to keep it rust proof as much as possible.

Meh. Just trade it in when it gets extra rusty at your local gas shop, and ask for the nicest one they have. They don't care. They'll give you a pretty one.

Just be nice...

Cut a piece of plywood to put under it. Problem solved. Steel tanks are gonna rust. One of the reasons aluminum ones are more expensive.

Even with Eva dry there is still some moisture, and it will rust. If you paint it, get some rustoleum rusty metal primer, it is only a few bucks and works great.

Otherwise, do a tank swap or pony up for an aluminum tank like I did.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Some great ideas guys!! Just one problem though, I have a skinny 7lb tank so I can fit 6 kegs in my keezer. I don't have that many in it now, but I will in the future. So I don't swap it, I have it filled. The plywood idea is a great one, but I think Im going to go with the rustoleum primer. Just because I want my tank to last. I guess I may have to re-paint it every once and a while too, but at least it won't rust.

I've got a 15lber for 4 kegs. I'm sure it's got rust on this, but never gave it any thought since I just swap tanks. Is there anything to worry about by not painting it, plywood underneath, etc.? I'm sure with just 4 kegs, a 15 lb tank will last a while, especially with me being the lone beer drinker in the house.

I've got a 15lber for 4 kegs. I'm sure it's got rust on this, but never gave it any thought since I just swap tanks. Is there anything to worry about by not painting it, plywood underneath, etc.? I'm sure with just 4 kegs, a 15 lb tank will last a while, especially with me being the lone beer drinker in the house.

I don't know if it's bad, I would think it could cause problems in the keezer. O yeah...a 15lber will last a VERY long time for ya. I'm also the lone beer drinker and I have four kegs as well. I don't have the time to brew all that much to keep em all full right now. I'm a little preoccupied with my fire academy at the moment.

You could always clean the tank up, then coat it in fiberglass...

Like a Bondo kit with mesh.

I've done some fiberglass patch work on this old beat up surf board I bought a while back. I know exactly what your talkin about, but that might be a little tough to get it to look nice and even. Def not a bad idea though!! I'll keep that one in mind.

Slide a piece of cardboard under it, like a coaster.

Thats a great quick fix until I can get it painted!! I'd like to keep my tank looking nice, so I will def be painting it. It will protect it too since I don't swap it and I just have it filled.

Or just relocate the tank outside of the Keezer. The place I use just swaps out tanks and uses aluminum, but I still keep both my tanks outside the Keezer so I have more space inside for what's important. :)

Or just relocate the tank outside of the Keezer. The place I use just swaps out tanks and uses aluminum, but I still keep both my tanks outside the Keezer so I have more space inside for what's important. :)

I bought the tank I have for that exact reason. I have a 6.8 cuft magic chef and I can fit 6 ball locks in it :rockin: which leaves very little room for a co2 tank. Which is why I bought a tall skinny 7lb tank that is MUCH thinner than your typical tanks. It fits perfectly in my keezer and I can still get 6 ball locks in it. Drawbacks, I can't swap it, it must be filled, it's steel. Not too bad if you ask me.

Back