Why is my minifridge leaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewb1

Reaction score
Apologies if this isn't the right place to post. I recently bought a minifridge off of Craigslist. For the first few weeks I used it as a fermentation chamber. No issues there.

I then lowered the temperature to use it as a fridge for my keg and lately I've been noticing a ton of condensation under the door. I have a temperature controller that seems to be working fine.

I think the issue could be arising in a few different places, but I'd love to get some input to figure how to fix this.

I think the most likely explanation is that the guy who sold me this fridge didn't cut out the freezer portion of it (see attached pic.) I do notice that every once in a while I will go in and there will be little icicles on it, and other times not, so I think that it's freezing, melting, freezing, and so on. How do I fix something like that?

Sorry for the poor quality pic. The camera on my phone is cracked and I haven't had time to get a new phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20181029_101709.jpg
    IMG_20181029_101709.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 44
I would guess your fridge is not sealed well and that's why you are getting condensation.

I could be wrong here, but I believe mini fridges with that little freezer compartment is cooled solely by that freezer fin. So I wouldn't try to cut it out...

Are you using a temperature controller? If you are then this might be causing more condensation as the freezer fin will freeze the moisture in the air. Once your target temp is achieved then the fridge is shut off and the ice melts. Since it is a fridge, it may perform better as a kegerator without a temp controller. Try just plugging it in and adjusting the cool setting to see if you can get it around your desired serving temp...

Last edited:
Are you using a temperature controller? If you are then this might be causing more condensation as the freezer fin will freeze the moisture in the air. Once your target temp is achieved then the fridge is shut off and the ice melts. Since it is a fridge, it may perform better as a kegerator without a temp controller. Try just plugging it in and adjusting the cool setting to see if you can get it around your desired serving temp...

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

My mini fridge does this as well and is from humidity condensing on the freezer shelf when i open for a beer. My feezer is folded to the back wall so all the water collects in one spot and i have a paper towel to absorb the watet and change it out after a few days.

Back