Why is brewing addictive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodeebryan

Reaction score
I Have been brewing for about 21/2 months now. I can't stop. I have depleted my first 5 gal batch and well on my way to knocking out the 2nd. The 3rd has been in bottles a little over a week and I am dying to pop one! The 4th is going crazy in the carboy since Sunday. When asked why I like it. I do t really have a good answer. In need of canned answer

Thats a question you have to answer yourself. Sounds like you do it for the pleasure of drinking your own brew.
I do it because I enjoy doing things myself. And the satisfaction of brewing beer that people can enjoy makes me feel like somewhat of a bad a$$.
But to each their own.

Why do I like going to the gym? Why do I like shooting guns? Why do I like beer? I just do... That's what guys do. :)

I hadn't planned on it, but I have my primary open, so I might brew tomorrow night. Haha

It is fun to concoct brews. I like knowing exactly what is in the beverage, how it was made, what additives are in it, and so on. By using ingredients, methods and additives (or none) that meet my desires, I know the end product is something I like. I'm always suspicious of commercial food and drink.

Because if I don't do it I have to find it elsewhere and that will put me on the streets doing tricks so I can afford a 750mL bottle of jolly pumpkin for $20 bucks a pop around here not to mention tipping the waitress cause they don't sell it in the 200% markup state run stores.. :tank:

I've wondered the same thing. As someone whose typical interest in a particular hobby has a lifespan of less than a week, I've stuck with brewing far more consistently and longer than anything else. What I think it comes down to to me are the following things:

1. It's cheaper than most hobbies. After the initial equipment investment, ingredients are cheap.
2. Endless possibilities. You can develop and brew a new recipe every week and never create two similar beers if you wanted to.
3. You get to enjoy the product.
4. It's an outlet for creative energies. This is similar to #2 in that you can be as creative as you want. There is also some part of the brain that enjoys doing these almost primitive things. Taking grains, hops, water and yeast and turning them into something totally different.

It gives me a hobby that falls outside of my typical interests. As an engineer/designer, my interests often lead me to stare at a computer - something I already do 9 hours a day.

Brewing beer occupies my time, gives me a creative outlet and gets me a little buzzed now and then. Since discovering small batch brewing, I brew nearly once a week.

1) I get to play chemist, coming up with my own formulas, executing them to the best of my ability and when the beer is well received by friends and family, I feel more like Heisenberg and less like Hank Schrader.

2) I get to play Frankenstein. Beer is alive and I get to birth each bottle of my beer, which lives for a year or so until it dies and fades into vinegar. Besides your kids, how many of us get to create a living thing on a regular basis with your own bare hands and know how?

3) I get to drink, and drink the beer I like for less price. Beer from the store is comparatively expensive, especially for those bombers and whales that hipsters find so appealing. Hear me hipsters? You're ruining it for everyone. Think i'm gonna stand in line for hours on Hunahpu day? Suck it.

It's like cooking. You can follow recipes and get excited about reproducing results. Or you can make up your own recipes and get excited about new discoveries. But I think what makes brewing more addictive than other hobbies is that you must wait weeks or months to evaluate your results and make improvements. You are certain to be interested for several batches, and by then...you're hooked!

I'm a cheap a$$ and so when I have a couple of cases ready to chill they feel free.

I try to keep myself from thinking about how much the actually cost. Those trout last weekend were about $20 per lb. after adding in the gas $ but I tell myself free.

All kidding aside, I think good beer is the key. Craft brew, both making and drinking others, has become a hobby for me. Only 1 month to go till TGABF :ban:

For me - brewing is complex and varied enough to keep me interested, but forgiving enough so that if I screw up it still comes out ok most of the time.

Good reading thanks y'all: I think most of my hobbies have been around land cruisers this far in my life and dont get me wrong on love jacking around with my LC. But I have really enjoyed the relatively low cost to get started. And the reaction I get when someone drinks a beer I brewed and they say. Wow that's actually good! I think they expect something really bad like the buffalo wild wings commercial. If you haven't seen it, it's really funny.

The other thing is the help I have received from other brewers here on HBT and a few guys around here in the DFW area. A lot of times when I've jumped into a new hobby I get turned off quickly by folks that have a vast knowledge of the subject Their pride and unwillingness to help unless you are an expert beats me down. I have had nothing but the opposite with folks here on HBT and at the LHBS!

I think why I love this hobby is all the different DYI aspects to it. From making recipes to making your own equipment, and labels or tap handles, there's always something you can do for the hobby. It's a good way to hang out with a buddy to either brew or drink your brew and it's also a fun way to spend your extra money. All the homebrewers I've met have been nothing but nice and willing to help or exchange brews. Brewing is truly one of my favorite things to do. :mug:

For me it's an opportunity to be creative, combining elements of both science and art, which keeps things interesting. It can be challenging, and there is enormous variety in what you can do.

I also find it extremely rewarding when I share a homebrew with a friend and they return to the kegerator a short time later to fill their glass up again with the same beer because they enjoyed drinking it. It's fun making things that make other people happy!

DPBISME said:
For the Chicks! Chicks dig brewers!

I have a wife and while she loves that I love to brew not sure it stirs any emotion toward me! Ha!

Easy answer: It's a hobby that yields good results and you can always improve on it or be creative with it. It's a constant learning process. Not to mention it gives you a reason to let your inner Mad Scientist loose for a day. Or is that just me?

I have to agree with the last two posters who mention being able to advance your craft. Regardless of how great the current batch(es) is/are, you know your next one can be even better. I also really enjoy the feeling I get every time I drink one of my great beers, even if I'm very familiar with it, adding a sense of pride and accomplishment to an already enjoyable beverage makes it a wonderful hobby. :mug:

dodeebryan said:
I have a wife and while she loves that I love to brew not sure it stirs any emotion toward me! Ha!

Im going to disagree. I would venture to guess that while my wife enjoys drinking the fruits of my labors..my labors stir an eyeroll emotion if you get my drift. Um..yea...

Im going to disagree. I would venture to guess that while my wife enjoys drinking the fruits of my labors..my labors stir an eyeroll emotion if you get my drift. Um..yea...

SWMBO is a good sport. She doesn't drink beer with the exception of the occasional Sam Adams, so she doesn't enjoy the fruits of my labor. But she knows it's something I really enjoy doing, so she obliges me, albeit with an eye roll, when I plan out a brew day. Now, if any purchases over $30 is required, there's usually a more serious discussion.

If only I had the balls and patience to do a Lambic. She'll drink her measly weight in a peche.

Back