Why doesn't everyone BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can do 10g batches inside on my ebiab system no problem as someone said earlier you can go as simple or complex as you desire with any brewing method.

I'm going to be attempting my first BIAB brew on Sunday. I've done a bunch of all grain brews with the cooler MLT / HLT setup and they turned out well, but the simplicity of BIAB appeals to me and I figured I should try it out. If all goes well I plan on switching to BIAB all the time and selling my coolers.

For BIAB I bought a pulley system that I'm going to mount inside my garage and I also bought a grill grate for a 22.5" weber grill to put over my 18.5" brew pot to let the grain bag rest and drain after the mash.

I've done about 5 hlt, cooler, boil pot brews and have the procedure down pretty good.

I have also done two 3 gallon BIAB. I have not been able to dial in the volumes to get the predicted OG and efficiency. I would not want to mess with anything larger. It is messy, and if you squeeze the bag you have to be careful not to burn yourself.

It is perfect for small batches in the kitchen when it is snowing or below freezing outside though.

I use a turkey fryer basket and a pizza screen instead of squeezing my bag.

BIAB_Starter_Wort.jpg

Great for making starter wort for canning.

EdWort, great idea! Just takes a little bit of thinking.
I've only done 2 BIAB for 5 gallon batches. Both are in bottles conditioning. I wouldn't say its uber easy but I will say it is not hard and the cost is a no brainer for me.
To each his own.....it's all good!

I plan on doing small 2 gallon BIAB. I originally found this video on homebrewtalk:

About the only difference is since I have a 3 gallon water cooler, I plan on doing a sparge step. I'm not sure if I can get all the water and grain in a 3 gallon cooler. Plus I just want to try it and see how it works. My motto is RDWIWBB (relax don't worry it will be beer)

Last edited by a moderator:
@tknice - I knew even while typing that someone would respond as you did trying to defend BIAB by breaking my post down piece by piece. You obviously missed my point and I still don't know why people feel the need defend their method over those used by others. I'd stated it's what works for a persons needs. If biab works for you great, just as I don't feel the need to convert others neither should you. It's rather silly actually. Btw, using extra racks like you suggested requires extra cleaning. I typically rinse my mash tun and only clean it with oxyclean every 3 or so batches. Not much work with a mash tun either, don't know what the big problem is.

Rev.

Totally unrelated, but does anyone know what the guy in the video (German Imperial IPA) make that dipstick out of? It looks somewhat translucent. I would like to make something like that.

@tknice - I knew even while typing that someone would respond as you did trying to defend BIAB by breaking my post down piece by piece. You obviously missed my point and I still don't know why people need defend their method over those used by others. I'd stated it's what works for a persons needs. If biab works for you great, just as I don't feel the need to convert others neither should you. It's rather silly actually. Btw, using extra racks like you suggested requires extra cleaning. I typically rinse my mash tun and only clean it with oxyclean every 3 or so batches. Not much work with a mash tun either, don't know what the big problem is.

Rev.
I think it's funny as well because I never break posts down like that.. I think it was the first time I have actually, but I did so because I feel strongly about it. I'm not comparing one to the other at all.

Here's the thing about biab imho. People are scared to brew all grain because they think its overly complicated or need lots of equipment which is simply not true. When you list your reasons for not liking biab, why can't I offer alternative processes, especially if I believe them to be easier?

To put it another way, it would be like saying I don't want to brew all grain the traditional way because I don't like the idea of moving liquor around with pumps. You would say, you don't need to do that. Tiered systems are designed to move it with gravity.

There is no big problem, I promise.

I think your response was spot on. Someone asks about biab and another chimes in with a list of negatives that are easily remedied. Rev don't have such thin skin the post was valid to the thread.

I have a bag in my round cooler tun. 1/2 the water volume goes in the MT, other half is in the kettle. I do 1-2 batch sparges into a holding bucket, yank out the bag and do a dunk sparge/squeeze in the kettle water (probably unnecessary, but there is some decent sugar in there), combine them and boil. I've hit 85% brewhouse efficiency average and grind my own grains using roller mill at .39. Water is treated with citric acid to lower Ph, so not worried about tannins . . .it takes heat AND Ph to get those out.

How many commercial brews are done biab? Why is that do you suppose?

I would suppose none because when brewing commercially you are going for much larger quantities. Fortunately, home brewers aren't brewing on a commercial scale and this opens the door to other brewing methods for us.

Because they are not brewing beer in their basements and garages. BIAB is a way to go all grain with little to no extra equipment. Some folks like it and stick with it. Pure and simple. I brewed 2 extract stovetop batches when I first started doing this a little over a year ago. Then I went to BIAB in the same pot and did that for 8-10 batches then I got a smoking deal on a keggle, got a big bag and started using that outside. I don't really see why everyone has to bash it and question it as a viable method. It obviously works for a lot of people. When the time (and money) is right I will probably go to a 3 vessel automated electric system but until them BIAB works for me.

This thread is turning into an internet argument that cannot possibly be won... And requires a haiku to derail it.

Some use nylon bags
Some use a picnic cooler
Lets birth some beer drinks

Apart from the fact that most commercial brewers would oppose the idea, the equipment would actually end up being more expensive on a large scale. A simple bag would not suffice, the vessel would have to be stainless steel... and quite large. Not to mention the fact that it would require mashinery to both lift and dump the inner vessel. It would make the system much more expensive, require a larger footprint and just be a general PITA.

IDk BIB is a viable option for a new guy or a person that lives in a restricted space.

As for myself I have the space and wouldn't want to spend twice as much on ingredients, when a kegel, burner, and mash tun costs 100 bucks.

IDK it's a no brainier if you like beer and make beer, spend the money on the equipment.

What it costs like 4 of cases of ok beer. Big deal I spent a lot more then that on my wedding, and I don't even remember the event.

BIB is simple and a good starter tool but that's all it has going for it.

I too am new to brewing so don't take the following as gospel. It is just what works for me.

BIAB once and found draining the bag a pain. Also found squeezing the bag forced out sediment and made for a cloudy beer. What I do now is mash in a bag mostly because it makes clean up much easier.

Bought a fine mesh bag 10" x 23" for $5 from Northern Brew. It is made to fit a 5 gal round cooler mash tun. Put all grain in bag (mash tun will hold up to 12 pounds malt) and double batch sparge with 3.5 gal of water twice for a total of 7 gal. Stir mash well with each addition of water. Vorluf (sp) till runnings clear and drain into 8 gal pot. Getting 75% efficiency and net about 6 gal.

Once the mash tun is drained, lift out grain bag and toss grain. Rinse grain bag and mash tun and you are ready for another batch.

Next batch using a false bottom in the mash tun to provide a better grain filter bed. Making the FB from a 9" round SS cake pan from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $12. Drilling all the holes will be a pain but think it is worth it.

I think your response was spot on. Someone asks about biab and another chimes in with a list of negatives that are easily remedied. Rev don't have such thin skin the post was valid to the thread.

Seems some of you who BIAB have the thin skin to feel such need to champion the process. I didn't actually list negatives to BIAB itself, if you'd read my post correctly I clearly stated the negatives I listed were for *my* process. About the only thing that is negative that might not apply is the efficiency comment, and I'd stated that I'd read that, not that it's a fact.

And for the record, the OP asked "Why doesn't everyone BIAB?". I gave my responses why *I* don't. How you interpret that as some negative attack against BIAB is beyond me.

Rev.

This quote from another forum sums it up.

"Brew in a bag (BIAB) Is a stand alone method of brewing beer. It is not better than traditional just different. Yes, it is quicker, cheaper and easier to do than traditional brewing but the results are the same. Good beer!

There has always been a snob problem with all grain and extract brewers. Both methods produce award winning beers but (some) all grainers look down at extract brewers. I think that there may be a problem with traditional and BIAB also. I used to brew all grain traditionally. I now prefer BIAB.

People over analyze brewing beer and sometimes create problems where there aren't any. Money is made selling products and books. I can see why people would be afraid of BIAB because it eliminates some streams of revenue.

Simple is better. Brewers like anyone else don't like to be told that they have been doing it the "hard way". They will use any weak rational to down grade someone else rather than LEARN from them. "When you stop learning you start dying".

BobBrews
BIAB Info http://www.biabrewer.info"

lifting heavy bags gets tiresome after a few high gravity batches

it's certainly cheaper but I wouldn't say it's easier

I often make 1.070 batches, of 10 gallons. No way can I deal with that much grain, and am in fact thinking of making a "tippy dump" for my MLT to make it easier when I go bigger with a 15 gallon keg MLT.

They don't make bags big enough.

You can use more than one bag of course- but doing a 5 gallon BIAB is different than a 30 gallon BIAB!

Logzor said:
I'm beginning to look into AG now that I have two partial mashes under my belt. I have looked at the wiki for the normal 3 vessel AG process, then the BIAB AG process.

It seems to me that the BIAB process is much more simple, why would anyone choose to do it the other way?

Is it recommended for new brewers to start with the BIAB method for AG?

Anyone who fly or batch sparges likely wonders the same thing about their respective approach. I batch sparge. I've considered fly sparge but see no added value. BIAB seems like a pain in the arse. Why doesn't everyone just batch sparge??

See what I mean? ;)

Cheers!

Oh, I beg to differ...I have made some gigantic bags:mug:

Yeah, but, I have no intention of putting 70+ lbs of grain in any kind of bag. At least not without a wench to lift it up :mug:

You can use more than one bag of course- but doing a 5 gallon BIAB is different than a 30 gallon BIAB!

True that. I think sparging would be a PITA with multiple bags floating around. Although cleaning out the MLT would be a lot easier.

People who can't lift a bag of wet grain have bigger problems than what method to use.

"it's so heavy". WahWahWah
:confused:

The OP asked why everybody doesn't BIAB. I & others gave reasons why we don't (I have actually done several BIAB in the past). The BIABers say we are being negative towards BIAB, when we are just answering the OP's question.

71 posts in 24 hours!!! That speaks volumes, LOL. There's no shortage of passion or opinions with our hobby and that's what makes it great. I started doing BIAB's over 6 months ago as a transition from extract and it has helped me tremendously. I've got two other brew friends that also transitioned to BIAB from extract. We all average in the high 70's for normal beers. I used a cooler mash tun on my last brew and really enjoyed it and now will be brewing that way. My two other friends now treat me like the outsider and look for any reason to prove that BIAB is superior to batch sparging in a seperate MLT. After a couple of home brews are sampled mutual respect reigns supreme. We are all now talking about a hybrid between full volume (BIAB) and batch sparging in two seperate converted kegs that I have. To each his own! :mug:

Rivercat96 said:
To each his own! :mug:

Indeed! Efficiency is nowhere near as important as consistent results and predictability. I have plans to try other approaches myself, for fun, but I am quite happy with my current process too.

;) (seems like the theme)

So I guess to answer the op, there is no good reason not to do biab. Unless you brew in some large quantity or above a certain og.

Get in line you multiple vessel twerps!

PS This is not intended as an ad hominem attack to anyone. I'm going back to extract brewing now.

Arguing BIAB vs. traditional AG is like arguing religion. Which is better, Lutheran or Presbyterian? Both have benefits and drawbacks. Both make beer (or get you to heaven :)). Different methods are right for different people. No one needs to convert the other side (brewing or religion).

For someone new to brewing, find someone who brews BIAB and someone who brews traditional. Tag along with each one for a brew, then decide which one you like better. (To continue my analogy, rather than choosing a religion based on what people tell you, you'd be better off visiting both churches and seeing which one suits you better.)

You can't argue "better" without defining "better." The definition is different for different people. Even, then the evaluations can be a judgement call (e.g., evaluating "easier").

Just let it be.

BrightSpot said:
Indeed! Efficiency is nowhere near as important as consistent results and predictability. I have plans to try other approaches myself, for fun, but I am quite happy with my current process too.

;) (seems like the theme)

Exactly! If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?

:mug:

I do both -- I BIAB for smaller batches (1-2 gallons) but use a cooler for larger batches. I am happy with the results I get from both. My stovetop could not support doing five gallon batches BIAB. I bought a cooler because it resulted in an easier process for me. I only recently obtained a turkey fryer but now that I have the cooler it doesn't really make sense to give it up. I have the equipment and comfort with my process. That's why I don't do strictly BIAB.

Latest posts

Back