Why doesn't everyone BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who can't lift a bag of wet grain have bigger problems than what method to use.

"it's so heavy". WahWahWah
:confused:

Well, I weigh 135 pounds. And 40 pounds of wet grain weighs about 80 pounds. I also have pumps to move water and wort, so I don't have to lift it. Why would I strain myself trying to lift a grainbag? I guess I'm not man enough to do BIAB.

You don't have to do it "my way" of course- but being insulting to those who do things differently rankles me.

Well, I weigh 135 pounds. And 40 pounds of wet grain weighs about 80 pounds. I also have pumps to move water and wort, so I don't have to lift it. Why would I strain myself trying to lift a grainbag? I guess I'm not man enough to do BIAB.

You don't have to do it "my way" of course- but being insulting to those who do things differently rankles me.

I think he was joking Yooper :D

I think he was joking Yooper :D

Thank you.

Most folks who are not doing all grain yet just need to try biab 2 times. I think they will find it works well and even though some here have complicated Biab with all kinds of variations, it can be done in an extract system with just the simple addition of a bag. The addition of some insulation of the kettle is helpful but not necessary.

Thank you.

Most folks who are not doing all grain yet just need to try biab 2 times. I think they will find it works well and even though some here have complicated Biab with all kinds of variations, it can be done in an extract system with just the simple addition of a bag. The addition of some insulation of the kettle is helpful but not necessary.

Ah. Joking doesn't always "translate" well on a forum, so I missed it.

I am a huge fan of brewing in general, and I think that everybody who is happy with their beer IS doing it the "right way". Whether it's Cooper's prehopped kits, or a 1 barrel HERMS, or something in between, if the brewer is satisfied with their beer and loves making it- then it's the right way to brew and they shouldn't feel like they have to explain themselves. Sometimes I see some AG snobbery towards extract or PM and my feeling is that we're all here to talk about beer, and oftentimes the best beer is the one you made yourself. It doesn't matter if it's extract, BIAB, triple decoction, or something else- if you made it and you love it- it's exactly the right way to brew.

I did the three vessel thing for over a year then read about BIAB. Made a bag in about ten minutes cost was free I had the right material as left overs from another project. Did the BIAB and never went back, just one pot to clean and a bag to rinse out what could be easier. As to lifting the bag get an oval strainer lift out bag (I use one hand in an insulated glove) ( if you have trouble lifting 20# in a 5 gal batch, then I recommend lifting weights once in a while or at least getting a heavier beer drinking glass. ) place in strainer over the keggle and let drip, squeeze as it cools. By the way my efficiency went up slightly with BIAB. 73 to 76%

Ah. Joking doesn't always "translate" well on a forum, so I missed it.

I am a huge fan of brewing in general, and I think that everybody who is happy with their beer IS doing it the "right way". Whether it's Cooper's prehopped kits, or a 1 barrel HERMS, or something in between, if the brewer is satisfied with their beer and loves making it- then it's the right way to brew and they shouldn't feel like they have to explain themselves. Sometimes I see some AG snobbery towards extract or PM and my feeling is that we're all here to talk about beer, and oftentimes the best beer is the one you made yourself. It doesn't matter if it's extract, BIAB, triple decoction, or something else- if you made it and you love it- it's exactly the right way to brew.

That is a perfect statement for this whole thread. :mug::mug:k

I started with extract on the stove; went to AG with a 10 gal. MLT and 35 qt. fryer W/propane outside. I am now in the process of converting my keggle to electric for BIAB, so no telling what will happen. If you try new things, you learn new ways; to each their own. We all have opinions, knowledge, and ideas to share. Some folks know all the words, phrases, and math for brewing and still make bad beer. Others use terms like "this stuff and that there stuff " go in that thing for a while. I find the nice thing about HBT is we all try to help and get along in the process. This was an interesting thread with pro & con for opinion, in my opinion. I like beer and brewing however it gets done. My biggest problem on brew day is which is the HOT cooler and which is the COLD cooler, so I figure I'll try BIAB in the keggle and have only the cold cooler, and save the confusion for brewing. Ahhh ... Cheers all:confused: :D

Back