Why does my LHBS make me feel like a noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.

Also notice that you're talking about your process, your equipment, the way you like your beer to taste, what's best for you, etc. It's completely fine to give advice about the way you like to do it, but don't go around claiming that you're making better beers by doing so.

You're part of the crowd that wants their beers packaged and drinking as quick as possible. Sometimes I'm in that camp. The OP is part of the group that likes to wait 3 weeks. Sometimes I'm siding with him. Either way, you claiming that your way is the right way is completely off-base, at least in generalizing it to most styles.

What the ****? When did I state it was the right way? Reread my posts. I'm in no rush for my beers - if they are ready at 1 week, 2 week, 3 week I'll package it then. Jeez.

I'm going to be a nit-picker here but the corollary of that argument is if the beer is done in 2 weeks why wait? 2-3 weeks whatever. I guess the point you may get from this long thread is that HBT is not a single entity with one opinion.

What the ****? When did I state it was the right way? Reread my posts. I'm in no rush for my beers - if they are ready at 1 week, 2 week, 3 week I'll package it then. Jeez.

My bad, once you started playing the devil's advocate, I got you confused with the other guy who was packaging all his beers at 10 days.

For lower gravity beers I go with 2 weeks in primary and that's it. If it was a bigger beer... I'd do a secondary with an additional 1-2 weeks depending on the beers gravity. I wait a minimum of 2 weeks after bottling to pop one. I prefer to wait 4 weeks, but sometimes I'm just not that patient. :cross:

I've always taken a church approach to any conversation about technique, style, and preference. I nod my head and smile. To argue with any persons hobby gospel is folly. It's exactly the same for SWMBO, she trains Shepard's for IPO (sport protection, obedience, tracking). Everyone knows "the right way" to do things and if you do it different, you should be drug out in the street and shot.

The original homebrew store in my town has a reputation for being "old school" (in a negative way) and are known to give advice and opinions that are contrary to many of the new trends in brewing that were popularized by the internet (ie. no secondary, BIAB, no-chill, hop bursting, etc). I know a lot of people who won't deal with them but they pay a heavy price: they are far cheaper than anywhere else in town and comparable to the best price online for the items they carry. I would put up with 3X the attitude to save $25 on a sack of grain (the savings are that good)

It was intimidating at first but now I dig it. Last time I was in I noticed that every Brew Craft product had something blacked out on the label. I asked what it said and was told: "It said Read Charlie Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing. Nobody should be reading that book anymore. That is the book you should be reading (points to John Palmer's How to Brew)". It made me smile and then I bought a sack of Weyermann for $55 (compared to $80 the other stores in town had quoted me when i called around).

I have read neither of those books, I read HBT!

I have read neither of those books, I read HBT!

I've read both plus many more. It never hurts to learn from others more experienced, even if you don't utilize all you may learn.
I look at brewing as an ever changing hobby (like most). There are always new techniques, devices, & processes being developed. If you have a well informed grasp of brewing it never hurts & can help to learn & adapt to these new processes if they fit your needs.
You can always not implement new or different techniques but you never know when something you've read might help you improve your outcome, i.e., better beer.

...During the conversation my LHBS tells me in passing to leave the beer in primary for 2 weeks and bottle.
I mention I always do 3 weeks, as I have learned from HBT.
The guy gets scientific with me and snotty. Throwing out big words about how after 2 weeks yeast gets weird and starts leaving off flavors.
I tell him I do 3 weeks and have not had an issue.
I got a "whatever it's your beer, you called me for advice".

So, just like anything else - you collect opinions, evaluate them, and decide what it is YOU will do. And you have learned that to collect opinions from your LHBS that you have to employ certain people skills and not challenge/argue with them if you want their input.

There are people that enjoy debate, being challenged, and discussing pros and cons, and there are those that know their way is the one true way. All (well most at least) have something to offer, and only you can decide if their input is worth the effort to get it! But if it is, as you have indicated, then I think you know what you need to do to get it.

i know this is page 10 but really ****ty attitude, what is up with people doing this in any line of work? you need customers or your business dies

Talking to one of the guys behind the counter at one of my 3 LHBS
Mentioned my cider was down to SG 1.000 & and wasn't going to wait for it to get lower.
LHBS guy "you can never ferment below 1.000"

Me "then why have my wines gone down to .996, why do wine Instructions tell you to get below 1.00?"

LHBS guy, "they are wrong"

Me- "ok, have a good one"

The second LHBS I ever visited was home to a condescending and idiotic snob for an owner. I was looking for a kettle with a 32-40 qt capacity to go all-grain and he kept trying to sell me used, dirty keggles. Trying to explain to him why I couldn't use a keggle (I brew inside on an electric stove element) was like pulling teeth. I am disappointed that I ever bought anything from his store.

Since then I've been frequenting two other LHBS locations and I couldn't be happier with their quality of service.

Talking to one of the guys behind the counter at one of my 3 LHBS
Mentioned my cider was down to SG 1.000 & and wasn't going to wait for it to get lower.
LHBS guy "you can never ferment below 1.000"

Me "then why have my wines gone down to .996, why do wine Instructions tell you to get below 1.00?"

LHBS guy, "they are wrong"

Me- "ok, have a good one"

hahaha good response.

Even though it is bad for business, know it alls at specialty stores demonstrate they care about the hobby. The best archery shop in town has one. He told me the bow I was interested in was a girls bow. He also told a co-worker of mine that had shoulder surgery and couldn't physically pull a bow that, "Anyone who uses a crossbow isn't a real hunter." Condescendingly, to his face, after he had explained his disability. The other guys at this place are great for the record.

This is where the need for "the customer is always right came from". When someone needs some help - Listen, listen, listen, ask polite questions, listen, listen, listen, advise once and then give the customer what they want even if they are wrong. Service pros think they are helping customers by correcting them, but it is my money and I can be whatever kind of idiot I want to be with it. In fact, it is the biggest idiots that spend the most money. Nothing wrong with selling idiots large piles of junk they want. Its the American way.

Back