Why does it hurt sometimes to smell the air in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrabstein

Reaction score
When I stick my head into my primary fermenter after ferment and smell it, it burns!...

Why??

p.s. i had a disagreement with my father about what causes the burn. i thought it was co2 concentration that causes lung burn

It's 100% the co2. I've accidentally inhaled in a large container full of dry ice and thought my lungs were going to explode.

+1 c02. I used to run a dry ice blaster, similar to a sand blaster but the the co2 dissipates on contact. This effectively sucks the oxygen out of the room and you breathe straight co2. with out an oxygen circulation vent this is the worst experience ever. It's basically your body saying go find some air because your going to die.

When co2 dissolves in water (including the stuff on the mucous membranes in your nose), it creates carbonic acid. Because you get it in such a high concentration when you take a whiff, you're literally feeling a mild acidic burn.

Try sticking your head into a chest freezer full of CO2 because you didn't make sure your keg connections were tight.

Back