Why does chilling a bottled beer not cure chill haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Chilling a beer at 34 F in a carboy after fermenting for 2 weeks will prevent chill haze. Why does chilling a bottled beer not cure chill haze? Just tried chilling my bottled beer for 30 days at 34 F and no change. What is the difference between a non-carbonated fermented beer in a carboy and a carbonated fermented beer in a bottle? Pressure? Any thoughts?

The proteins that form chill haze are still in the bottle, and will get rapidly churned into suspension with the act of opening and pouring the beer. Cold crashing filters the beer from the sediment that causes chill haze.

If you tried to pour a cold fermenter into a large glass, it would see chill haze too.

Thank you. That makes sense. On the other hand if it were just proteins getting stirred up when opening and pouring a beer, the unopened beer should, theoretically, be clear after 30 days at 34 F and it is not.

Here is a saying I like: "What works in theory doesn't work in practice. What works in practice doesn't work during the game."

It's my understanding that when you cold crash the proteins drop out, they don't disappear. The same thing happens in the bottle. The difference is you rack off above the dropped out proteins when you are done cold crashing so they stay behind. In the bottle they just get mixed back up.

Chill haze happens, in theory, when you don't chill the hot wort down in 20 minutes or less. I started using a half tablet of Whirlfloc toward the end of the boil. This helps drop out excess proteins. Plus chilling the bottles normally gives time for chill haze to form & settle out in 5-7 days fridge time. But if you even partial mash, incomplete conversion during the mash can create what's called " starch haze" that doesn't settle out. Or unmalted, unmashed flaked oats, corn etc can have the same effect.

"Why does chilling a bottled beer not cure chill haze?"

think about the name... it's called "chill haze" for a reason. ;)

Rev.

Well, like I said, if you even partial mashed, &/or used flaked grains, you can get incomplete conversion & starch haze. You ain't gettin' rid of it in that case. I've had chill haze take as much as a week to form & settle out.

Back