Why do you hate brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my keggerator to cold crash and I hate lifting a glass carboy in and out of the chest freezer. I'm worried the carboy handle will stress fracture the carboy and leaning over the collar is a pain. Also space. Where I have lived for the last two years doesn't have the best lay out for brewing. Lots of careful slow walking with kettles of wort and full glass carboys.

The humidity....

Brewing inside easily raises the humidity of my house 10% - 20% along with the temperature about 5°.

There's also not enough time in the week to do it as often as I want. I hate that.

Cause every time I make a beer I want to pour it out and make it better (i.e. Improve it in my own mind)... Drives me nuts.

The amount of time between brewday and carbed beer day. Wish the process was faster.

I hate how fragile the little tip in my racking canes are. No matter how careful I am I end up breaking that little piece thus making the racking cane completely useless. If someone could invent a more durable racking cane that would def make my brewing life easier. I've only been brewing for about 11 months now and I'm on RC #4.

PITA

Distant second is like everyone already said, the cleaning up part. I just don't feel like scrubbing and washing after I've been making beer for 5-6 hours. Sometimes I get lazy and leave the kettle and MT to clean days at a time later. Which adds to the level of aggravation because trying to scrub dried trub and gunk of the sides of the kettle is a real B.

Other than those two things I really enjoy brewing!

Do they break or just come out? Mine comes out now and again. It will snap back in. Pull the cane out, get a Chapstick tube and a dab of honey. Stick the racking cane tip on the Chapstick with the dab of honey. Turn the racking tube upside down and put the Chapstick in. Use the racking cane to push it up the tube. You have to poke around to get it to line up but it will pop back in and be good as new!

Well i just moved into a apartment from a house. Now I really loathe brewing because i had my system down so well and everything in its place. It will take some to adjust.

For me, bottling. I need a better bottling setup with a nice deep sink, abundant counterspace, and a floor/counter capper. Hopefully in the new house. Right now, after oxycleaning the bottles I rinse, StarSan, and fill them in the bathtub (in case there are any spills) with my fermenter raised on a bath stool. Then cap using my trusty dual lever Red Baron.

It is an hour of bending over which my old back is liking less and less.

But, we are moving into a new house in a few months with a dedicated workshop, so I will tough it out :ban:

While I am continually tempted to keg, I usually gift about half of my bottles so having them in giftable format makes things easier. Otherwise I would have to drink them myself... which... er... would that be bad?

Save a few bottles and keg the rest. Your back will thank you! [emoji6]

In order of degree of hate (i.e., hate most to least)

Waiting for the damn strike water/brew kettle to heat up - Not a big deal during the winter, but in the summer I brew in my garage with the door up. I live in south Louisiana and the heat index is over 100 for pretty much 4 months straight. The humidity is unbearable as well. Add a couple of propane burners and my garage gets melt-your-face-off hot. If I brink a beer to drink while I wait, it's usually piss-warm in about 5 minutes.

I used to live in Slidell and I visit frequently so I know that oppressive heat. To top that off it's probably raining when you go to brew so you can't put the burner just outside the garage. I just switched to the Blichman burner from a bayou classic, it really cut that time back, there is no soot and it uses less propane believe it or not. Quiet too. I don't know what you have but I hope that helps. [emoji6]

In the last few brews I optimized my PITA tasks a bit..

a) I now go clean the mash tun once I get the wort boiling. (I hate cleaning the mash tun, so it gives some relief after the brewing).

b) Tidy up everything else once I start chilling the wort (gas burner, small items, tools etc.)

c) After wort-to-fermenter the only thing left cleaning is the keggle, so I do that while the yeast is rehydrating.

d) Once I pitch the yeast, everything is already cleaned and organized - at this point I feel a bit tired but I'm completely done with the brewing + cleaning.

e) Also, bought a bottle rinser/sanitizer, faucet jet washer, bottle tree - that makes the bottle prep two-three times faster. I also sometimes prep the bottles the night before bottling, but in that case i need to cover the bottles with sanitized foil.. Now using the bench capper, that also helps a lot.

All in all - investing in some handy brewing/cleaning tools really helps to make the homebrewing pretty easy.

All in all - investing in some handy brewing/cleaning tools really helps to make the homebrewing pretty easy.

Preach it, brother!

All hail my dip tube brush! I use it to clean my keg dip tubes (obviously), but also scrub my vinyl tubing, siphon, and ball valves. Best 3 bucks I've ever spent.

I don't hate anything about brewing. But, what I do hate is my wife bitching about me being in the garage all day drinking and brewing!! [emoji2]

Amen, brother! Except I take up the kitchen...late at night...after cleaning it. What I'm trying to say is that she has no real reason to complain.

Back