Why do BMC "craft" brews taste bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along with what's been mentioned above, given a limited amount of shelf/cooler space available in stores, BMC, by selling their "craft brew" lines, also eliminates the ability of some retailers to sell other smaller operation breweries. BMC gets more shelf space and the little guy gets squeezed.

+1

It's all about shelf space at the retail level.

Wow, what a discussion. Lots of good points brought up here. Lots of dumb **** too. The bottom line is i believe as far as beer is concerned, we (americans) are finally beginning to get a more complex pallete for beer. In europe the BMC's are a joke. Not because they are american but because they are less complex. I like the bud american ale, sam adams, and i love SN pale ale. We are growing as a beer culture frome tasteless yellow water to smack'ya inda mouf brews with flavor. Now no doubt a SA aint one of my IPA's but kudos to them for the beers they make, and lets not forget they are huge supportes of homebrewing, and so are most of the BMC's, they adapt to what we demand. We are not going to stop making beer, even if AB cloned our favorite homebrew perfectly. I for one would rather have one of my average brew rather than a BMC that is perfect. Why? Because each one of mine i drink is a little better(usually), and I made it, i love it when freindas and family argue about wheer i made it or not(its too good). We are here for the beer but the ego trip is a welcome fringe benifit. Can i get an AMEN!

In europe the BMC's are a joke. Not because they are american but because they are less complex.

That's true as far as it goes. You can argue that Europe's "macro swill" is better than the US's, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Belgians are all sipping Trappist ales. Jupiler, Heineken, Stella Artois, Beck's, Carling...these are the beers most Europeans yearn for, and I don't envy them for it.

I do not eat at chain restaurants. I do not support BMC.

I try my best to stick to both of the above statements however, I do breach both goals from time to time.

As has been said, BMC craft beers are made to be the lowest common denominator and the vast majority are total crap and horrible. Not from a snobby position, but from a "I know my good beer" position. Blue Moon and the American Ale are good beers. I don't drink them, but they are very well done and good beers. I would not poke fun at anyone who said they loved those beers. I might suggest that they help out a smaller brewery and suggest some similar beers from a craft brewer, but if they like that beer then fine.

To say that the other 'craft' beers are anything but horrendous and a pock on the face of the word craft, is ludicrous.

Also, I hate the fact that BMC is trying to get a piece of the craft beer market.

I do not eat at chain restaurants. I do not support BMC.

I try my best to stick to both of the above statements however, I do breach both goals from time to time.

As has been said, BMC craft beers are made to be the lowest common denominator and the vast majority are total crap and horrible. Not from a snobby position, but from a "I know my good beer" position. Blue Moon and the American Ale are good beers. I don't drink them, but they are very well done and good beers. I would not poke fun at anyone who said they loved those beers. I might suggest that they help out a smaller brewery and suggest some similar beers from a craft brewer, but if they like that beer then fine.

To say that the other 'craft' beers are anything but horrendous and a pock on the face of the word craft, is ludicrous.

Also, I hate the fact that BMC is trying to get a piece of the craft beer market.

Well put. no argument with any of that.

In europe the BMC's are a joke. Not because they are american but because they are less complex.

That's true as far as it goes. You can argue that Europe's "macro swill" is better than the US's, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Belgians are all sipping Trappist ales. Jupiler, Heineken, Stella Artois, Beck's, Carling...these are the beers most Europeans yearn for, and I don't envy them for it.

Europe has great beers. So does asia, africa etc... But they have crap too. Carlsberg, sapporo, elephant etc.... I'm just saying that they understand the differance better than we(homebrewers excluded) do as a whole.

I still talk with people all the time who think beer is either classified as light or dark and that if it's dark it has to be strong tasting.

From my observations it seems that people in my generation (I'm 27) seem to appreciate craft beers more than my parents generation. This is only in my group so I don't mean this to be offensive to anyone who is older than me. I think it is just that people my age are more open to trying different or new things. It helps that the craft beer scene is growing and more readily available for the younger drinkers to learn to appreciate before they are stuck buying BMC forever after being brainwashed with constant advertising.

Back