Why are homebrew people SO cheap??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have no lhbs even remotely close to me (2 hours minimum) so I am always looking for the best priced on-line vendor.
i hope the search brings you joy.
this thread actually has answered my question at this point.
i think some people are just wired to be cheap and others aren't.
it has been interesting to read the responses of the cheap and i have gained some insight.

Good to know. I EBIAB 5 gallon batches so I might keep it in the maybe column. I have a hard time seeing it heat up for grains, my wife and my mother have put those machines through all kinds of crap. There are different motor sizes in them though.
Check this out.... don't know if it is any good I'm looking for something else at the moment. Might be worth a look or to ask around about. For flaking oats, barley, wheat etc. Didn't look to see if it does corn.
https://www.amazon.com/FAMILY-GRAIN...sprefix=Kitchenaid+dough+roll,aps,221&sr=8-51

I look at brewing like I do any other hobby. Pretty much when you add the word hobby to the end of anything it increases the price exponentially. I tend drop a lot (which is a relative term) of money on good equipment and high quality supplies. I am building a large shop on my property and have allocated room for a nice brew room and temp controlled cellar.

To me its not about the money spent but the enjoyment I get out of it. I have spent a lot of money on all my hobbies, kayaking, shooting, camping, hiking, etc. and have found them all to be expensive. Once I accepted that hobbies cost money I quit caring about how much I spend as long as I still have money for food and mortgage.

If someone enjoys brewing for as cheap as possible, more power to them. But I see where you are coming from with people posting and acting like brewing for the cheapest possible overhead somehow makes them a better brewer. As if nice equipment is somehow a crutch. Some of us don't mind spending the money and that should be fine as well.

For me it started with trying to save some money. i live in Utah and the church runs the sate and the State liquor stores.. in my opinion. it made me angry having to pay more for old expired beer. so my wife bought me a kit to start and its all downhill from there. its also hard to find good beer in Utah. we have a few places that make some good stuff but its either 4% or 6+ for a pint and the state just changed the law so one beer would put me in DUI range.

we are about to build a new house and i am going to have the builder build out a brewery in the basement for me.

we are about to build a new house and i am going to have the builder build out a brewery in the basement for me.

Now that is the way to do it. Be sure to add/save a space where you can age beers/wines/whiskey you will appreciate it down the road if you ever get into aging things. It will also serve well to do lagers.

For me it started with trying to save some money. i live in Utah and the church runs the sate and the State liquor stores.. in my opinion. it made me angry having to pay more for old expired beer. so my wife bought me a kit to start and its all downhill from there. its also hard to find good beer in Utah. we have a few places that make some good stuff but its either 4% or 6+ for a pint and the state just changed the law so one beer would put me in DUI range.

I never felt much of a need for a man cave until I started homebrewing. I don't have one at the point so I have to be able to store my equipment efficiently/ hide things/ make everything look very polished. Luckily we have a very large walk-in pantry so I have a place to store equipment and my kegerator.
I nearly salivate thinking of brew set-up I could do if we were building a house.
Enjoy it you Utahn bootlegger!

Now that is the way to do it. Be sure to add/save a space where you can age beers/wines/whiskey you will appreciate it down the road if you ever get into aging things. It will also serve well to do lagers.

we will have a good size cold storage room. i just don't know what temp it will hold year round. but great idea.

I never felt much of a need for a man cave until I started homebrewing. I don't have one at the point so I have to be able to store my equipment efficiently/ hide things/ make everything look very polished. Luckily we have a very large walk-in pantry so I have a place to store equipment and my kegerator.
I nearly salivate thinking of brew set-up I could do if we were building a house.
Enjoy it you Utahn bootlegger!

hah! yeah this was one of the main reason for moving and building this and more land. my wife is into the idea as well so i am a lucky man.

i definitely feel like a bootlegger in Utah it adds to the fun.

Where will you be in Utah? You should be able to look up the ground temperature there. If the ground temperature is low, say 50 like it is here, put the room in a corner where you can take advantage of your cool ground temperature. Then just insulate the walls from the rest of the house to keep the temperature in that space. You can run your a.c. to the space with a temperature controlled vent for added cooling when needed. If the ground temperature is too high the put the room in an interior space and build it like you were building a refrigerator. 4 or 6 inch polystyrene in the walls and cooling from your a.c.
What ever you decide to do you will want to add ventilation that you can control to prevent musty, moldy smells and growth. Or there is always this option https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0&_osacat=0&_odkw=small+space+air+conditioner
I'm sure there are better options than what I saw with that search but you get the idea. I had the thought of using the thermoelectric heat pumps for mine because in the summer it does start to get a little warm when it has been hot for several weeks.

Where will you be in Utah? You should be able to look up the ground temperature there. If the ground temperature is low, say 50 like it is here, put the room in a corner where you can take advantage of your cool ground temperature. Then just insulate the walls from the rest of the house to keep the temperature in that space. You can run your a.c. to the space with a temperature controlled vent for added cooling when needed. If the ground temperature is too high the put the room in an interior space and build it like you were building a refrigerator. 4 or 6 inch polystyrene in the walls and cooling from your a.c.
What ever you decide to do you will want to add ventilation that you can control to prevent musty, moldy smells and growth. Or there is always this option https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0&_osacat=0&_odkw=small+space+air+conditioner
I'm sure there are better options than what I saw with that search but you get the idea. I had the thought of using the thermoelectric heat pumps for mine because in the summer it does start to get a little warm when it has been hot for several weeks.

Our current house is in herriman and we are going south to eagle mountain. Thanks for the advice I would have never thought about any of this. i wish the cold storage was cool enough to lager.

Glad you guys figured out you were both in Utah. There is a space on your profile page you left blank that could have let everyone know without all the fricken drama. Type in your birthday too. I like to know how old you morons are before I bother to start a fight with you.

If you're too cheap to share your birthday and state of residence, get the hell out;)

Last edited:
Glad you guys figured out you were both in Utah. There is a space on your profile page you left blank that could have let everyone know without all the fricken drama. Type in your birthday too. I like to know how old you morons are before I bother to start a fight with you.

If you're too cheap to share your birthday and state of residence, get the hell out;)

fixed it just for you ;) i don't know if he is in Utah just a guess.

Back