Why and favorite part of home brewing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspenextreme

Reaction score
I know for me my brother homebrews and i was intrigued. I had one of his brews and it was pretty good. He told me the process and the cost of a batch and i was hooked. Love the time away and creating my own beer. While it is a hobby for me eventually (in 2020) i might break even.

I care far more about having great beer to drink that I don't need to buy (or hunt for). Having a brew fridge, with three taps, also means I can have however much I want (until the keg kicks) and not open any bottles. I'm also providing my mother with top quality brew without her paying anything.

I enjoy the all grain process a good deal. I see it as an extension of my love of cooking, which I got from my father. Plus, making recipes gives me a creative outlet. Giving someone a glass of homebrew, that's 100% your own recipe, where you did everything possible (yes, I don't malt the grain or culture the yeast) to make it is very rewarding. I also like the granular control I have over the process with being an all grain brewer. I know plenty of people will call out how you can make great home brew without going all grain. I just can't see myself ever not being an all grain brewer. At least not by choice.

My favorite element is the aging. I love thinking that something is getting better just by sitting there, whether it is in the primary, secondary, keg or bottle. I'm bottle-aging some Belgian beers for ~7 months, and am giddy every time I look at them.

I like math, chemistry, science, and beer.

Brewing is just something that lets me spend a good amount of time absorbed in doing something I'm passionate about. It's like playing the piano, but without all the keys.

Just wait until you get into more than just brewing beer. Making mead is a whole other animal.Talk about aging something until it's great. I have some that was started in November 2010 and it's just getting better and better. I have other batches that are still in bulk form, and won't be bottled for at least a few more months (started in December 2011).

I have a [12%] wee heavy that was started in December 2011 too. Then there's the ~9% old ale started in early March of this year. Both are aging in bulk and should go to keg in another month or two.

Honestly, I enjoy everything but clean up. Lately, I've really been getting my geek on with yeast culturing. Microscopes, petri dishes and vials make my pocket protector quite erect.

I enjoy the American colonial history of brewing, culturing yeast and the science of brewing, but most of all, designing labels and packaging. :D

Just wait until you get into more than just brewing beer. Making mead is a whole other animal.Talk about aging something until it's great. I have some that was started in November 2010 and it's just getting better and better. I have other batches that are still in bulk form, and won't be bottled for at least a few more months (started in December 2011).

I have a [12%] wee heavy that was started in December 2011 too. Then there's the ~9% old ale started in early March of this year. Both are aging in bulk and should go to keg in another month or two.

I haven't yet developed a taste for mead. But I love the idea of aging more and more... though I'll need more space!

Because I like to drink good beer and since moving to WV I am unable to buy what I consider good beer within the state. Also, I wanted to get closer to the process of where beer comes from.

My favorite part is at the end of a brew day when you finally pitch your yeast when all that is left is waiting and racking to a keg. What a feeling of achievement.

I love the feeling of accomplishment when you give someone a beer and they truly love it.

Back