Brewing contest for home brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSpencer

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has been to, or ideally organized, a contest-based brewing event. I am contemplating doing so this summer, with the idea being that home brewers would provide small samples to event attendees for the purpose of having them somehow vote for their favorite. To make it more fun I was thinking there would be a band or two as well. The concept is for me to raise funding for the filming of my beer-based television show. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is known as a Brew Fest. There are lots of them. Sometimes they are all commercial breweries, sometimes (though less often) all home brewers, and sometimes a mix. The voting can be as simple as providing tickets/tokens to attendees and ticket/token collection jars to each brewer (or each beer).

Depending on where you are, you may need a permit from the town/county/state. You'll also need general and alcohol liability insurance.

This is known as a Brew Fest. There are lots of them. Sometimes they are all commercial breweries, sometimes (though less often) all home brewers, and sometimes a mix. The voting can be as simple as providing tickets/tokens to attendees and ticket/token collection jars to each brewer (or each beer).

Depending on where you are, you may need a permit from the town/county/state. You'll also need general and alcohol liability insurance.
This is terrific information. Thanks so much!

Wondering if anyone has been to, or ideally organized, a contest-based brewing event. I am contemplating doing so this summer, with the idea being that home brewers would provide small samples to event attendees for the purpose of having them somehow vote for their favorite. To make it more fun I was thinking there would be a band or two as well. The concept is for me to raise funding for the filming of my beer-based television show. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
The AHA site has a link to a page all about sponsoring your own HB competition. It's a good checklist to handle the tasks involved in the beer judging aspect.

The AHA NHBC 2023 site has a link to a page all about sponsoring your own HB competition. It's a good checklist to handle the tasks involved in the beer judging aspect.

I think @MikeSpencer is contemplating a "people's choice" contest, and not a judge scored competition.

But I have to admit that a non judge (and non brewer!) attempting to run a BJCP style competition at the same time as running a brew fest would probably provide some good anecdotes for the beer-based TV show.

Wondering if anyone has been to, or ideally organized, a contest-based brewing event.
I agree with the recommendation to check for the alcohol laws that pertain to your area. If you are in the US, each state will have their own laws that will dictate what is allowed. Here in Virginia I have found there is often a disconnect between what is written in law and what the ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) Rep says is allowed (though some sections of the law are rather confusingly written). Around here, giving away small samples of homebrew for judging or evaluation is generally allowed at a venue that already has a license. An approved Banquet License would likely be needed for any other type of event.

I agree with the recommendation to check for the alcohol laws that pertain to your area. If you are in the US, each state will have their own laws that will dictate what is allowed. Here in Virginia I have found there is often a disconnect between what is written in law and what the ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) Rep says is allowed (though some sections of the law are rather confusingly written). Around here, giving away small samples of homebrew for judging or evaluation is generally allowed at a venue that already has a license. An approved Banquet License would likely be needed for any other type of event.
Thank you for the insightful post. I will be working with a local brewing supply store, so I am hopeful that they have a grasp of some of this. I'm a big believer in consulting experts as they have gone through the steps and know where the pitfalls lie, assuming they are good at what they do. In case anyone qualified in this way is reading this, I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area and I am interested in talking with you. I have a great venue in mind, and this thing could be pretty cool if done right. Thanks again!

Same here! What's your brewery name?
I'll be there with the SPARGE homebrew club. Make sure to stop by and say hi. I'll keep a lookout for your table.

Back to the OP's topic though, here in MA, you also need to get a one day license from the town you are hosting in if it's not someplace that already has a license to pour. And some places get really picky if you try to host somewhere that has a "farm-brewery" license. You also may have to get everyone who is going to pour certified to pour as well.

I have both entered and judged at our local county fair homebrew 'competition'. Never occurred to me that to hold that at a place other than government 'sponsored' would require a permit and regulations to be followed. But since the annual fair is essentially run by the government, that could be one way to get around all of the regulations and hoops to jump through.

On a bit of a side note, the last year they had the fair, the year before the scamdemic, there was a new face there handing out forms for us judges to fill out. Which included us writing down our social security numbers. I ask why they wanted our SS number, and the reply was something like we need to track the compensation we would be receiving. I replied that I was a volunteer, and there was no compensation.

It's pretty funny when you get that look from someone 'representing' the government when they are trying to figure out an answer to a well reasoned argument, LOL. Most of us chose not to hand out our SS number willy nilly to some pencil pusher.

Anyway, might be a consideration if difficulties are met.

I don't know where the OP wants to hold his event, but it's pretty easy to get a banquet permit in Virginia. And nobody will show up trying to collect SSNs.

Contact the BJCP maybe get some Beer Certified Judges to show up and judge.The BJCP website is replete with info- here's a link to their competition center: Competition Center – Beer Judge Certification Program
I was thinking that attendees would vote. Do you think there chould be a judging panel as well?
The idea for this event is to be a fundraiser for my would-be TV show. I'm thinking bands ( I have some connections locally to good ones), food trucks, and maybe a coincidental event where a reading of the script is performed. I'm pretty jazzed about the idea, but want to be realistic. This feedback has been awesome, so y'all keep it coming!

I was thinking that attendees would vote. Do you think there chould be a judging panel as well?
The idea for this event is to be a fundraiser for my would-be TV show. I'm thinking bands ( I have some connections locally to good ones), food trucks, and maybe a coincidental event where a reading of the script is performed. I'm pretty jazzed about the idea, but want to be realistic. This feedback has been awesome, so y'all keep it coming!
A sanctioned BJCP event would give the event some gravitas and is would also need a much bigger commitment planning wise. Having the general public vote is a great way to get folks involved for sure. Still going to take some planning but should be a wonderful excuse to whoop it up.

The idea for this event is to be a fundraiser for my would-be TV show. I'm thinking bands ( I have some connections locally to good ones), food trucks, and maybe a coincidental event where a reading of the script is performed. I'm pretty jazzed about the idea, but want to be realistic.
I guess you just have to decide whether you're having a fundraising party that happens to have a home brewing contest attached, or a home brewing contest that happens to have a fundraising party attached.

Remember that it's illegal to sell homebrew or barter with it- so the 'fundraiser' needs to have something else that people would spend money on. Selling tickets to a homebrew tasting would be an illegal event, and not likely to help you get the kind of publicity you are looking for.

Having the public and a panel of certified judges both scoring the beers could result in a "Rotten Tomatoes" situation where the people love a beer, but the judges hate it.

In other words, MORE DRAMA!!!

Remember that it's illegal to sell homebrew or barter with it- so the 'fundraiser' needs to have something else that people would spend money on. Selling tickets to a homebrew tasting would be an illegal event, and not likely to help you get the kind of publicity you are looking for.
Perhaps he could sell glassware at a huge mark-up, said glassware would entitle the holder to sample the beer...?

Or is that too transparent?

Things are coming along nicely. I’ve identified the location site (Orange County, NC) figured out the bands (more to come there), and am beginning to think on sponsors.

My question for the group is: what type of vendors would you like to see at a home brewing competition? I’m likely not going to take on breweries since this is for the up-and-coming rather than the established.

Thoughts?

My question for the group is: what type of vendors would you like to see at a home brewing competition?

Some typical brewfest vendors include food truck(s), beer related apparel (t-shirts, etc.), cigars (if allowed), local "craft" food makers (hot sauce, jerky, kettle corn, etc.).

Just poured at one over the weekend. It was held at a local brewery. The general public purchased a tasting glass for $15. They could "sample" all they wanted for 2 hours. With the glass purchase, they received a sheet with all the beers to sample from. Each person got up to 3 votes (there were 3 boxes to check next to each beer with a brief description). The most votes won "people's choice" and at $100 gift certificate from the brewery. They held it in a tent in the brewery parking lot, they also had a band. Good time!!

Vendors? The more food, the better. Amazing how drunk people get off of unlimited small samples for 2 hours!

Latest posts

Back