Why a coffin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer ferm chamber that I'd like to outfit with all of the fixins to put beer on tap occasionally. I think i can pull this off with a 2 faucet tower and little else, why would I build a coffin? Is it just so I have the option for more taps (this is a small chest freezer, so that's not happening anyway), or is there another reason? I just want to make sure I don't start the build and then realize why I needed a coffin later on. Any input would be great, thanks!

Yes, the prefab towers can be limiting. I personally don't like the look of them. If you have a small chest freezer and you like the look of the prefab tower, then go for the tower. Later on if you feel like you need more taps, then you can sell the whole thing to somebody else and then find a bigger chest freezer and build a coffin to your liking.

I went with the collar for a couple reasons mostly for ease of expansion. The other thing motivating my decision knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about keeping my serving lines cold as they run through the tower. With a tower set up you're running your lines up, and outside of the freezer and since there isn't really anything by way of insulation inside the tower, and since cold air sinks, it takes a little extra work to get the cold air to circulate up and into the tower. Of course HBTers have found solutions to this using simple fixes like installing a hard drive fan, but it was one extra step that I didn't really feel like dealing with.

Also, the extra space that adding a collar provided created a nice space to store 6 packs on top of my kegs. :mug:

[...]With a tower set up you're running your lines up, and outside of the freezer and since there isn't really anything by way of insulation inside the tower, and since cold air sinks, it takes a little extra work to get the cold air to circulate up and into the tower. [...]

My t-type tower column is lined with 3/8" thick neoprene, and the faucet box is lined with inch thick closed cell foam. I'm sure that's not unique...

Cheers!

I don't like the coffin or the tower on top because you have to either have clearance behind it or enough clearance in front to roll it way out to open it up.

It al boils down to personal preference really. I prefer the look of a coffin over a collar thats just me. Also I have mini me's running around so a collar wouldn't be practical, because little hands are curious! Pulling it out to open it is kind of a pain, but it's worth it for me :).

Back