Whoops... Starter got to 101 deg F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdugre

Reaction score
So I made a starter last night of WLP023 and put it into my fermentation chamber. I got home this afternoon and realized that I mistakenly plugged the heater into an outlet thats on all the time (instead of the switched outlet controlled by the thermostat). The temperature in the chamber was 101F !!!

So what what you do? Risk using it, or make an emergency trip to the LHBS?

I would let it sit in the fridge to stratify and pour off the top layer, leaving the yeast behind. Then I'd pitch the yeast.

sure it stressed it some - but the re-hydration temperature for dry yeast is 100-104, so you're probably safe.

Personally, I'd use it.

However, I'm no yeast expert, but I do know that there is a difference between optimal temps for cell count and optimal temps for cell health. You can grow a lot of messed up yeast at high temps. I would bet that for most ale yeast strains 100F does not represent a good compromise.

Thanks for the input. I ended up finding another jar of washed yeast in the back of the fridge so I'm going to use that.

Back