Who has the most obscure hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vagabond... best, like, ever.

But I also love anything that has to do with Miyamoto Musashi.

No, Ruruoni Kenshin is.

That being said, yes, Musashi rocks.

He beat a guy to death with an ore because he could. Cause' you know, swords are great, but nothing puts a master swordsman to shame like beating him to death with an oar.

A widdled down oar at that. I love Japanese history. That and US due to all the crazy people that made impact.

No, Ruruoni Kenshin is.

He beat a guy to death with an ore because he could. Cause' you know, swords are great, but nothing puts a master swordsman to shame like beating him to death with an oar.

A widdled down oar at that. I love Japanese history. That and US due to all the crazy people that made impact.

Wasn't a huge fan of Kenshin.

They say Musashi won over 60 duels and killed several opponents with his bokken or bukuto (wooden 'practice' sword)... he was indeed one of the best swordsman who ever lived.

Having practiced with a mokgum (bokken/bukuto) for the past year, I have no doubt in my mind that a well-placed blow would be absolutely devastating.

I'm not sure if it's really a hobby, or if it's even obscure, but I find antique straight razors that seem to be beyond usable and refurbish them. I also use many of the one's I can get a good edge on. I find that I can get a much better shave with less irritation with a single straight razor than I can with these expensive 5-blade ones out there.

I use an old style safety razor. Thinking of getting a straight edge. What is important in a good straight edge?

I get a much better better shave with the one blade (double sided) on my safety razor than I ever got with a "high-tech" multi blade razor.

No, Ruruoni Kenshin is.

They say Musashi won over 60 duels and killed several opponents with his bokken or bukuto (wooden 'practice' sword)... he was indeed one of the best swordsman who ever lived.

Having practiced with a mokgum (bokken/bukuto) for the past year, I have no doubt in my mind that a well-placed blow would be absolutely devastating.

I have no idea what either one of you are saying. :fro:

I collect Slide Rules -- you know; those 'slipsticks' that scientists and engineers used to carry in their pockets in those science fiction films of the 50's and 60's.

For all you young'uns (I'm 46, myself), a "Slide Rule" is a handheld analog (not digital!) calculator, that lets you multiply, divide, find logarithms, antilogarithms, square- and cube-roots, squares, cubes, and all sorts of other fun mathematical ... er... mathematical ... um... fun.

Edited to add:
Also, sines, cosines, sometimes Tangents (usually in degrees, but the rare rule will sometimes have radians).

I've even designed (but lack the skills to build) a slide rule to do ABV and other gravity-related calculations. Works good when printed on paper, but no idea how to make such fine-detail work in wood, myself.

Last edited:
I collect Slide Rules -- you know; those 'slipsticks' that scientists and engineers used to carry in their pockets in those science fiction films of the 50's and 60's.

For all you young'uns (I'm 46, myself), a "Slide Rule" is a handheld analog (not digital!) calculator, that lets you multiply, divide, find logarithms, antilogarithms, square- and cube-roots, squares, cubes, and all sorts of other fun mathematical ... er... mathematical ... um... fun.

My dad gave me his recently and I showed my nine year old daughter how to multiply on it. The other day she said "dad, I need to multiply 23 times 9, can I borrow your slide rule?" I never thought I would hear that.

BTW collecting slide rules is both obscure and super nerdy. You win.

Don't forget calculating fuel burn, wind drift, pipe thickness based on diameter, ampicity calculations, etc, etc. I still use one for gas volumes.

Oh, and I am 43. Slide rules are still used in the trades just like real carpenters do a lot of calculations on the framing square. Most of the ones in the trades are the circular, multi-disc type but serve the same purpose.

They also say that Musashi once sat in a pond to cool and his fever was so high the pond began to boil. To be honest didn't expect that name to be coming around too often in these parts.

Slide rules, there's a blast from the past. I wonder do schools ever have "no calculator" tests these days? And if so would you be allowed to bring in a slide rule? I'd be willing to bet 3/4 of the teachers out there these days aren't even exactly sure what those things are.

I like to pick things up and put them down. I did powerlifting and strongman for about 15 years until tearing a biceps tendon doing a tire flip. I still lift weights or do cardio almost every day.

I also have a touring motorcycle that I like to use for more than commuting to work whenever possible.

Don't forget calculating fuel burn, wind drift, pipe thickness based on diameter, ampicity calculations, etc, etc. I still use one for gas volumes.

Oh, and I am 43. Slide rules are still used in the trades just like real carpenters do a lot of calculations on the framing square. Most of the ones in the trades are the circular, multi-disc type but serve the same purpose.

True, and -- apropos this website -- John Palmer, author of How to Brew has developed a paper/cardboard one for brewing. My old LHBS store used to carry them. Not many sold, and I think it's because it's a bit too 'old tech' for most.

I think, also, my insurance agent uses one (again, pre-printed cardstock) to estimate quotes.

I've never really cared for the specialty slide rules -- although they do indeed have their place. I don't always understand the units or calculations they're solving: I think printed nomographs are a better solution for 'specialty' work (Again -- Palmers' book is full of them). The circular ones are hard to use, I think; I find them difficult to hold in one hand when writing answers with the other.

I find them difficult to hold in one hand when writing answers with the other.

I still can spin and E6B with one hand while making an inbound call to the route controller. It is practice.

Tables in the little blue book are used more often now by pipefitters but hard to use in gloves in the field. Electricians and Ironworkers have similar references but it all comes down to the same issue: If you have to flip through the book, you are likely in the trailer anyway so look it up in an online calculator.

Most of those specialty slide rules are used by folks that have good reason not to trust the engineering prints and specs...in the field...often in the cold, moments before installation begins. When you spin the dials and s$%^ does not make sense, you go back to the trailer and call the engineer while you do the real math online or on a design software.

Slide rules, there's a blast from the past. I wonder do schools ever have "no calculator" tests these days? And if so would you be allowed to bring in a slide rule? I'd be willing to bet 3/4 of the teachers out there these days aren't even exactly sure what those things are.

You'd win that bet, except I'd up the number to more like 9/10 teachers don't know what they are. Heck, 19/20 average people in First-World countries have no idea what they are.

You go to some third-world country with poor infrastructure, and you still find schools using them -- batteries, and working solar-powered calculators are a rarity. I've word that they still make them in places such as Sierra Leone and Laos.

You'd win that bet, except I'd up the number to more like 9/10 teachers don't know what they are. Heck, 19/20 average people in First-World countries have no idea what they are.

You go to some third-world country with poor infrastructure, and you still find schools using them -- batteries, and working solar-powered calculators are a rarity. I've word that they still make them in places such as Sierra Leone and Laos.

being Earth is the 3rd planet from the sun, all countries are 3rd world countries. bears eat beets. bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

I restore typewriters but apparently that's the new thing so it's not obscure anymore. Hipsters will un-obscure every hobby before long.

IMG_20150128_201557.jpg

I restore typewriters but apparently that's the new thing so it's not obscure anymore. Hipsters will un-obscure every hobby before long.

I may need to talk to you about your hobby. I bought my oldest(14) an antique typewriter before Christmas. Its missing a key or two and could use some TLC that I can't give it.

I use an old style safety razor. Thinking of getting a straight edge. What is important in a good straight edge?

I get a much better better shave with the one blade (double sided) on my safety razor than I ever got with a "high-tech" multi blade razor.

I have one of those old safety razors as well! The important thing to to look for in a good straight razor is the make. The cheap one's from China are no good and the one's on Amazon won't get sharp enough. IMHO, the older the better and if you can get a German made razor you are good to go. I've learned to set and edge and hone one with a variety of stones, but usually you can find a barber who knows how to hone if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

To much awesome on Kenshin? I feel you.

I have a bokken as well. It would really cause some serious issues if used against someone.

I have no idea what either one of you are saying. :fro:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU[/ame]

I sell slide rules to nerds.

Smart.

Am typewriter, can confirm.

So, would you say you liked restoring typewrites before it was cool? :D

Bwahahahahaha.

Yes! Yes I would! I also liked that band before everyone else as well.

Am band, can confirm.

At some point they'll find a way to ruin being a hipster.

Tight pants already ruined it for me.

Finally there is an appropriate occasion.

102420142120141.jpg

Ha! But yeah, unless you know the reference it might seem... Yeah...
Maybe I should have gone with:
I feel like my loyalty is part of what I get paid for. But of course if somebody else pays more... I go where ever they value loyalty the most.

I miss the office.

I don't know how obscure it is, but I enjoy taking photographs of very distant objects. I don't get to do it as much since I've moved to a much larger city, but I need to get back into it. It requires patience to get through all of the photographs required for one image, but it is very rewarding to see the final product. Plus, you get a (mostly) relaxing night beneath the stars.

M31.jpg

M8.jpg

M33.jpg

I don't know how obscure it is, but I enjoy taking photographs of very distant objects. I don't get to do it as much since I've moved to a much larger city, but I need to get back into it. It requires patience to get through all of the photographs required for one image, but it is very rewarding to see the final product. Plus, you get a (mostly) relaxing night beneath the stars.

My neighbor and I are dabbling at getting to astro photography. What tripod and scope do you use?

That is awesome. I always talk about getting a telescope but I never follow through on the research.

I would highly recommend it. It's a great feeling to look at something with the naked eye and know it's so far away. Not to mention you're pretty much looking back in time.

My neighbor and I are dabbling at getting to astro photography. What tripod and scope do you use?

I use an Orion Sirius mount/tripod with an Orion ED80 scope. It comes as a package from Orion and I feel it was a great way to get started. I had been looking at something bigger to start, but anything much bigger wouldn't have allowed me to fully place M31 in the frame. Just be warned that, like brewing beer, there's always something new to buy (dew control, better cameras, camera control, autoguiding equipment). I use a fairly basic setup, but I think I've produced some pretty good images with it. I'm hoping to have a place one day where I can set up a pier/dome combination in the backyard.

Obscure or not (I think you know better than I), but I totally agree with the others, that is freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! I hope to get back out there soon and take a few more. After all, I have to do something while waiting on the yeast to make beer.

Latest posts

Back