WhiteLabs 001 stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1337sti

Reaction score
3 weeks ago i brewed a Smash
15 pounds of northwest pale malt brew in a bag style

i was at 108F for 20 minutes, i wanted to hang out at 150F but after a few minutes i had hit 167F :( killed the heat and left the lid off. was there for about 15 minutes, iodine test i believe said i was done so i finished brewing (6 oz of mt hood hops , 2 oz each at 60- minutes, 22 minutes and 7 minutes boil times)

My fermentor is a SS Brew bucket.

At the time all i had was a refractometer which said 17 Brix , estimate of 1.068 SG .. (I think that was with 6 gallons still in there , my target was 5.5)

mistake #2 was no air flow after pitching yeast, ac closet was 68F but the fermentor hit 78F after 16 hours. i ran out and bought a squirrel fan, and that got the temps down to 68F after 12 hours

strangely this batch i never saw any air lock activity, i did swirl the bucket once and some bubbles came out of the air lock.

So i ran out and bought a hydrometer to see what's going on .. I'm at 1.020 :confused::(

On the plus side, this beer tastes Amazing!

I am worried that i'll get bottle bombs / over carbed beer. I was really looking at bottling today / this weekend and starting a Cider on the same yeast cake (never re-used the yeast cake before but want to try)

Its 72 out , so i'm thinking i'll shut off the AC and open the AC closet (its currently 68 in there) and if the FG doesn't move (by when? saturday?) Am i safe to bottle?

Advice please ? :

Thanks in advance!

I suspect it has something to do with your mash temps - higher mash temps tend to lead to less fermentable wort (more complex sugars that beer yeast has a hard time processing). That in turn leads to higher final gravity.

I'd raise the temp a little, swirl it up, let it sit for another few days, if there's no movement on gravity, then I think you're done and ready to bottle.

Thanks, and I checked my notes , i Pitched at 9:30 on 9/2 at 72F so its been 18-19 days , outside temps will be higher today (only source of heat at the moment for the brew closet)

at least the Beer is very tasty.

Temp raised to 75 and I saw some very slow airlock activity for about 12 hours .. Guess I'll be waiting a few days before I take an other reading

Back