White stuff on side of bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcg1230

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I brewed my first batch of a Witbier (UFO White style) and I think I may have messed up to the point my beer is ruined.

When I bottled it about 2 weeks ago, I made two mistakes, one of which is less minor. The less minor mistake I made was not putting the priming sugar in the bottling bucket first and the second was not siphoning into the bucket, but rather pouring regularly and adding the priming sugar box on top and stirring. What worries me is that not siphoning caused it to get contaminated.

Furthermore, I checked in on it last weekend, I noticed some white stuff on the side of the bottles. It didn't move around at all. It just stayed where it was when I rotated the bottle. My question is, is this most likely mold or just sediment? It smells normal, tasted normal (my friend said "unique" taste, but not "off") and looked normal.

Should I be worried?

The white stuff on the sides of the bottles is most likely just yeast. Let it carb fully for 3 weeks and then refrigerate a bottle or two and the yeast should fall off the sides to the bottom. The beer is most likely not infected but my be oxidized due to the way you poored it into the bottling bucket. Just drink it quick after it carbs and you most likely wont notice the oxidation.

Oxidation would be my first concern. ive never had sediment stick to the side of my bottles

I don't think dumping is going cause contamination. One less thing touching the beer isn't bad.
Oxygen in there could be, but you'll probably drink it before that's a problem.

Just to let you know, we drank the first brew this past weekend and everyone survived! Haha.

Back