White floaties in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaseousgoat

Reaction score
Hello, so I did a rapid bottling of a beer ( no co2 purge and too much headspace). Bottles were sanitized but first time I've seen these white chunks. Less than a year old. Is it mold? Most sediment sinks I thought.

Attachments

• 20231108_172828.jpg
    20231108_172828.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Is this in all your bottles? Or just the one that you didn't fill all the way. It's not mold.

It's likely just trub and yeast. For some reason it got stuck to the side. Possibly because of the large amount of headspace.

You don't need to filter or even use a secondary FV. Just wait till the beer is clear and all the suspended stuff has gone to the bottom or top of the FV before you bottle. Then rack out the clean stuff in the middle.

If all your bottles are like this, you might let one gas off all the CO2 and take a hydrometer reading. If it's gravity is much lower than your FG was at bottling time, then you can probably assume it got an infection.

But how does it taste? Not all infections ruin the taste of beer.

Year old beer? I've never had any get close to that age!

Is this in all your bottles? Or just the one that you didn't fill all the way. It's not mold.

It's likely just trub and yeast. For some reason it got stuck to the side. Possibly because of the large amount of headspace.

You don't need to filter or even use a secondary FV. Just wait till the beer is clear and all the suspended stuff has gone to the bottom or top of the FV before you bottle. Then rack out the clean stuff in the middle.

If all your bottles are like this, you might let one gas off all the CO2 and take a hydrometer reading. If it's gravity is much lower than your FG was at bottling time, then you can probably assume it got an infection.

But how does it taste? Not all infections ruin the taste of beer.

Year old beer? I've never had any get close to that age!
There's a little bit in other bottles. Gravities basically the same (.001 diff). Tastes like beer. Think it's fine. Thanks!!

Back