White Milky Substance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared25

Reaction score
This is my first batch of mead, so im not exactly sure whats going on. But there is a white milky substance that im unsure of what it is. I have attached pics. Is this ok or should I do something about it?

Attachments

• 20201206_083047.jpg
    20201206_083047.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20201206_083053.jpg
    20201206_083053.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Them're just yeasties! Is that a finished product in the jar?
Possible it wasnt treated with enough campden or kmeta, or it wasnt cold crashed long enough.
It'll be fine to drink

let it sit longer to settle out. You can always put the jar in the fridge to cold crash it.

Them're just yeasties! Is that a finished product in the jar?
Possible it wasnt treated with enough campden or kmeta, or it wasnt cold crashed long enough.
It'll be fine to drink

No I'm brewing small batch in Quart jars with fermentation caps. This is week 3 in primary fermentation. I didnt put Campden in it, which now reading on it i think I should have.

I wouldnt. Even my traditionals, I let ferment for a minimum of five weeks. Let 'er ride fermentation out, then give it a good 12-24hrs cold crash after.

Sounds good. I was planning on 4 week primary, another 2 in secondary and then rack for 6-12 months. I'll have 8 bottles so ill taste them at different aging periods to test it out.

It could be yeast, but my first reaction was it looked like pectin from the honey. The advice is the same: let it set out. Have patience young Jedi. Some batches clear quicker than others, this is the way.

Back