White Labs WLP565, Belgian Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelly999

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this yeast? I have a saison fermenting, it's been going for 2 weeks now and I'm still getting 5-6 bubbles a minute. It's a 5-gal batch, OG 1065, fermentation temp has been a steady 72-73F. My target FG is 1013 but I don't want to open it to check while it's still working. How long does this yeast typically take to finish?

Thanks for all responses.

CK

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive; it's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their wifes [sic] will allow."

I use it all the time. If you can ramp up the temp to 80-85 degrees that would be ideal. At the temp you have it right now, it could go several more weeks or could even stall out. That strain can be finnicky and unless you mashed really warm or added a lot of unfermentables, that yeast should attenuate much lower. I consistently reach 1.004-1.005 with it.

Everyone's fermentation is different based on a number of factors so hard to say for sure, but my guess is you have another 2 weeks or so at your current temp.

Thanks for the feedback. I can put it out in the garage but it gets too hot during the day (I'm in Florida), and there's a big temperature swing over the course of the day. Think I'll just leave it where it is and be patient.

Question- What are your SGs typically? According to White Labs the apparent attenuation for this yeast is 65-75%; I have a pound of Belgian candy sugar in the mix so I bumped this up to 80%, which is where I got my 1013 FG.

Do you have a heating pad? I used to wrap my carboy/bucket in a blanket and put a heating pad underneath it to ramp the temp up on mine before I got my fermentation chamber. You could also use a water bath with warm water in it.

As long as you pitched a healthy starter and had adequate oxygen you should be fine. The warmer temps just seem to help with that strain.

in my brief tenure, this is my favorite yeast. I also live in a very warm climate, i just shut the vent enough in a room so it doesnt cool down to the level of the rest of the house. usually stable at 78. Plus the active fermentation the first few days will take a room temp fermenter to well above 80 fermentation temp. I usually let primary for 1 month and bottle condition for another month. Amazing results. flocks very well and leaves a very crisp clear tasty brew. Only 2 bottles left of my last saison. very sad that its almost gone, but very happy with the results.

+1 FG under 1.004.

*UPDATE*- After 3-1/2 weeks at 72/73 F, this finally stopped bubbling; I checked the gravity, was expecting 1.017 but it got down to 1.009 (86% AA, compared to 65-75% on the White Labs site). It's in the keg under 20# of pressure, I'll try it Sunday during football.

Great yeast, it just needs time. I have also used it along with Wyeast French Saison, pitching the Wyeast at high krausen....the WLP needs a helper yeast on occasion.

I use that yeast in my "house saison". I love it. I usually ferment for appx 6 weeks in the low 70's. I typically get down to 1.01 or just under.

I split a 6 gallon batch of Cottage House Saison. 3 gal with WLP565 and 3 gal with 3711.
Most preferred the earthen, fruity and tart flavours of 565 over the more peppery flavours 3711. However, does not finish as dry as other Saison yeasts.
Can't wait to use the 565 again. Makes a great Saison or Belgian Blonde.

UPDATE- Kegged, carbed, and cold; magnificent... :mug:

Cool, glad it worked out well for you. I split a 10 gal batch and pitched 3711 in one and 565 in the other. Both fermented down to 1.005 in nearly the same amount of time and everyone preferred the 565 over the 3711.

I accidentally added twice the amount of bitter orange peel than the recipe called for; I managed to fish some of it out but it was still about 50% over. It's getting very high marks, I may keep it that way in the future.

Back