White Labs says I can Lager any yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I called white labs regarding WLP400 ferm temps. The packet says 3 different temps. Lager, wheat and Belgian wheat I believe, From around 60 deg(maybe less) to 78 deg. I asked how can an ale yeast ferment at lager temps.
They said the yeast could be used for multiple beers. I said I know you can ferment a lager yeast at ale temps but I thought ale yeast at lager temps would stall the yeast. They said you can start "any" yeast warm and drop the temp during active fermentation to lager
This goes against everything on the forum about stalling yeast at cold temps.

Whats the deal? I would think they know what they're talking

Lagering is not the same thing as fermenting. I think the terminology is what's causing the confusion.

Of course you can drop any ale yeast to lagering temps (30°-35°), it'll just stop the fermentation and start the "lagering" process (lagering = cold storage). Unless fermentation had already been completed, you'd have a very under-attenuated beer.

BTW, the white labs website says WLP400 should be in the 67°-74° range.

Last edited:
Lagering is not the same thing as fermenting. I think the terminology is what's causing the confusion.

Of course you can drop any ale yeast to lagering temps (30°-35°), it'll just stop the fermentation and start the "lagering" process (lagering = cold storage). Unless fermentation had already been completed, you'd have a very under-attenuated beer.

BTW, the white labs website says WLP400 should be in the 67°-74° range.
Correct but the actual packet has 3 different beer types and different temps and the reason for my call.

WL rep said just start an ale yeast warm to get it going and drop to lager temps which was one of the choices on the packet
They made it seem like a universal yeast which didn't make much sense

Correct but the actual packet has 3 different beer types and different temps and the reason for my call.

WL rep said just start an ale yeast warm to get it going and drop to lager temps which was one of the choices on the packet
They made it seem like a universal yeast which didn't make much sense

60° isn't a traditional lager fermentation temp. Lager's ferment at 48°-53°.

Regardless, I don't think it would be advisable to try and use that yeast at 60°.

I called white labs regarding WLP400 ferm temps. The packet says 3 different temps. Lager, wheat and Belgian wheat I believe, From around 60 deg(maybe less) to 78 deg. I asked how can an ale yeast ferment at lager temps.
They said the yeast could be used for multiple beers. I said I know you can ferment a lager yeast at ale temps but I thought ale yeast at lager temps would stall the yeast. They said you can start "any" yeast warm and drop the temp during active fermentation to lager
This goes against everything on the forum about stalling yeast at cold temps.

Whats the deal? I would think they know what they're talking

Thue reality is that many yeast strains haven't read the manual on what they're supposed to do. And frankly 60F isn't cold, there's plenty of Scottish breweries that ferment ale yeasts in the 50's, likewise kolsch breweries. Don't be confused by the fact they're suggesting it gets used for lager, they're not suggesting you use WLP400at true lager temperatures.

But given that there's commercial lager breweries using ale yeasts and even saison yeasts, whereas classic "ale" yeasts like Nottingham in fact contain a blend that includes lager yeasts - the boundaries between ale and lager brewing are far blurrier than the textbooks make out.

Latest posts

Back