White Labs Flemish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentednonsense

Reaction score
I'm put a vial of White Labs Flemish Ale in my brown ale about 2 weeks ago, and still no sign of infection. How long does it typically take? This is the 1st sour I've made.

Thanks in advance

I actually just racked three gallons of a 10 month old belgian blonde fermented with WL Flemish Ale onto three pounds of mixed berries (raspberry, blackberry, and blueberries). I didn't take a gravity reading, but the flavor was right where I was hoping at transfer.

If I remember way back when, I only pitched one vial without a starter and it took in the neighborhood of 2-4 days to show active signs of fermentation.

RDB: was the brown ale already fermented, and you added the Flemish mix as a secondary yeast? if that's the case, you probably won't see any "typical" signs of fermentation (krausen, churning, temp rise, etc). you might get a pellicle, or you might not. only way you'll know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading in several months, and/or taste it. don't be surprised if it doesn't really get sour for a year (or more).

If I remember way back when, I only pitched one vial without a starter and it took in the neighborhood of 2-4 days to show active signs of fermentation.

was the Flemish your primary yeast?

Sweetcell - Yep, the Flemish Ale was used as my primary. I transferred a little bit of the yeast cake into the secondary with the fruit as well.

all makes sense. only primary fermentation produces krausen, churn, etc.

when adding bugs afterwards, you won't see much. gravity samples and taste will confirm that the bugs are doing their thing, but that will take awhile.

the main ingredient in sour beers is patience :mug:

I am housing a friend's sour for the next year that sounds very similar to yours. He did primary fermentation with a trappist strain then secondary with bugs. I've had it at my place since the bugs were added and it took at least a month before I noticed anything going on. Now after about 2 months in secondary there is a pellicle forming and some very minor bubbling as the bugs are working their magic.

Everything worked out. Should be racking this bad boy into a carboy in a couple weeks

1413830608540.jpg

Back