White House Honey Ale turned out weird? too long primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbizle

Reaction score
I suppose I'm not a total noob (I've recently graduated to all grain ha), but this was my fourth extract type brew (seventh time homebrewing all together) and Second time making the white house honey ale kit from northern brewer. The first time I made it, it turned out fantastic and everyone loved it so I thought I'd make it again since it was so tasty. While this time around I got caught up in life (work, family, new house ect.) and I let it sit in the primary for about roughly 2 1/2 months around (68-70 degrees F) no secondary before moving to bottle. While I was bottling I noticed how dark and Carmely it smelled which seemed odd since the first batched didn't look like it. I bottled and carbed, tried one the other day (bout 2 weeks bottle cond) and it has this super rich carmely taste and very alcoholly taste to it and it is very dark(almost amber) I'll try and snap a pic when I get home from work.

My OG was 1.059 and my FG 1.010. 6.43% ABV

What do you think happened? Did I let it sit on the trub too long? If so, makes never want to skip racking to secondary again (which I've read on here is unnecessary for certain brews?)

The hot alcohol taste is prob from fusel alcohol produced by the yeast at high temps. if ambient temps were 68-70 then your fermentation temps were prob more like 75ish which is pretty high.

The darkness is prob from the extract getting caramelized and then not fermenting out, thus the sweet caramely flavor.

The hot alcohol taste is prob from fusel alcohol produced by the yeast at high temps. if ambient temps were 68-70 then your fermentation temps were prob more like 75ish which is pretty high.

The darkness is prob from the extract getting caramelized and then not fermenting out, thus the sweet caramely flavor.

Ya that makes a lot of sense. Now that I think of it, we didn't start turning on the AC at the house till around end of may so I'm sure the temps hit higher during that time thus creating those off-flavors. Although I forgot to mention I had a Irish Amber fermenting at the same time and that came out just fine.

Thanks for the insight!

Latest posts

Back