White Head/Black Body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhelanKA7

Relax? RELAX?!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to get a fairly white, off-white at darkest, head on an otherwise black beer?

My grain bill for the recipe is as follows:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %

The beer itself is a Black IPA. As that stands the head is a dark tan color. Not quite to imperial stout levels but too dark for my liking. I'm assuming black patent is the culprit but would dropping it and increasing the Crystal 120 to 3 lbs give me a fairly white head? Beersmith tells me that the SRM goes from 35 down to 28 when I do that but I don't know if that translates into the color of the head. 28 SRM is still a dark enough color for a BIPA I think. It's not like I can enter it into a competition but I would like to get this recipe dialed into where I really want it.

One other thing I'm afraid of losing by dropping the black patent malt is the roastiness it imparts. I really enjoy how it complements the pine of the hops I use with it. So in a perfect world I would keep the black patent but find some magic trick to replace the dark foam on top of my BIPA with a pearly, billowy white meringue.

While we're on the subject... How does Guinness achieve a beer that is absolute pitch black (probably an SRM of 40 at least or so I'm guessing) and a bleach white head? If there's a trick to that I would like to know :) (Not exactly the type of beer I'm brewing here though)

Thanks! :mug:

I'm not terribly sure, but you might try subbing some Munich malt for the strong malty flavor. I know that's a light to dull brown, but without brewing a couple batches I don't know what to suggest other than some trial and error.

Logically, this just doesn't seem possible. After all, the head IS the beer. If you lighten the head, you WILL lighten the beer. Unless you are thinking about putting a dollop of whip cream on top...

Logically, this just doesn't seem possible. After all, the head IS the beer. If you lighten the head, you WILL lighten the beer. Unless you are thinking about putting a dollop of whip cream on top...

Hehe, it's a root beet float!
Actually, while I would normally agree, Guiness does a pretty good job of having a white head on an otherwise dark beer...but it does taste surprisingly like water...

Well aside from Guinness there are plenty of flavorful black lagers (Schwarzbier) out there that have white to off-white heads. I'm beginning to wonder if a good cold crash will achieve a white head in the final product?

I think the issue with head color is the small particulate pieces of the dark roasted malt - the "dust" if you will. If you filter, you should be able to pull this "dust" out and have a lighter head. I you don't filter, the "dust" may fall out given enough time at cold temps.

I think the issue with head color is the small particulate pieces of the dark roasted malt - the "dust" if you will. If you filter, you should be able to pull this "dust" out and have a lighter head. I you don't filter, the "dust" may fall out given enough time at cold temps.

You nailed it. Over time the little bit of dark roasted malt will fall out of suspension and you will be left with a whiteish head. JP Madrugada Obscura has a ton of roasted malt and it has a nice whiteish head probably from the barrel time allowing particulate material to settle out.

If I remember correctly your caramel malts are responsible for the brownish head. If you used only roasted barley for color/body you would end up w/ a white head.

Back