White flour question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
Was browsing around on a whiskey distilling forum I discovered they use common white flour to raise OG's cheaply. It produces zero flavor. Could we do the same instead of using say a DME to hit a missed OG before boil?

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone.

I'm going to try it someday, in a cloudy wheat beer, but it will have to be cooked first and then mashed with diastic malt (2-row or 6-row pale, for instance) to do any good. Corn starch would be easier to use because (I think) it will gelatinize at mashing temperatures and won't need to be precooked. Neither is something you can just add halfway along, it needs to be planned in the recipe.

If you just want to boost the OG and don't have DME, use a little cane sugar. Add it at the beginning of the boil and it should invert in the kettle. Or just don't worry about it and brew a lower-gravity beer. ;)

^^^So school me up on the cooking of the flour. Isn't that flour the same as the flour we see when we grind our grain?

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how much water you'll need for a pound of flour. Whisk the flour into cold water and cook it until it thickens, then add that to the mash...

I just looked up the gelatinaztion temperature for wheat and it's 63 degrees C, so maybe you don't have to cook it first. That's about 145 F.

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how much water you'll need for a pound of flour. Whisk the flour into cold water and cook it until it thickens, then add that to the mash...

I just looked up the gelatinaztion temperature for wheat and it's 63 degrees C, so maybe you don't have to cook it first. That's about 145 F.

So then the flour in my kitchen isn't from malted grain?

Was browsing around on a whiskey distilling forum I discovered they use common white flour to raise OG's cheaply. It produces zero flavor. Could we do the same instead of using say a DME to hit a missed OG before boil?

Yes, distillers hammer mill wheat into a flour then mash it with enzymes. The advantage they have is that they do not lauter, the entire mash just goes into the still.

So then the flour in my kitchen isn't from malted grain?

Malting is when live grains are soaked and allowed to just begin to sprout. This doesn't happen with most grains that we cook with. Wheat flour is just ground-up dry wheat berries.

Chimay's Grand Reserve lists "wheat starch" on it's English label.
They were apparently questioned about the use of highly processed starch and called this a translation error.
They confirmed they do use less than 5% wheat flour to enhance head retention.

Latest posts

Back