White floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I went to check my Cherry Wheat in secondary this morning and I found these floating white spots in the top of the beer. Is this contamination? If it is, would it make sense to rack it to a new carboy and try to avoid moving the nasties?

Sounds logical. How does it smell? If you were careful about sanitation and cleanliness, then it is probably break material or something else that is normal. Post a pic and I'll take a better guess.

Are you sure it was white floaties..... I notice with my dark beers especially my dry stout almost always at the end it has what looks like white floaties, but its just little patches of bubbles from the yeast finishing up. I really have to get close and make sure I have my glasses on to see the bubbles but its bubbles. Check this out.....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6051

It actually smells alright. I think it looks like flour floating on top of the beer, when I get home from work I'll post some pics.

Almost every dark beef I've ever made had white floaties on the top, usually they show up after I transfer to secondary. I have no idea what they are, but the beers have always tasted great...

I thought I was seeing the same thing in secondary on my Pale Ale last night, but upon closer examination it was very tiny bubbles in clumps.

It was tough to get a good picture, but here goes:

CherryWheat002.jpg

It doesn't look like it's getting any worse, whatever it is. The brew has been in secondary for about a week or so, I'm thinking maybe kegging it now and leaving pressurized in the keg for a couple weeks just in case.

My first Haus Pale Ale looked like this when I kegged it.

4569-HausAleFermenting.jpg

It turned out to be a fantastic beer. I've seen it on every batch so far and each batch has turned out to be very tasty. Here it is afterwards. I use Nottingham dry yeast, so I'm guessing this is normal since it tastes Ausgescheichnet!

HausAle3.jpg

Little yeast bubblies. They seem to stay present in the secondary even after fermentation is complete, at least on all of my IPAs that aren't dry hopped.

If it doesn't taste bad, don't worry about it.

-D

XCMerk22 said:
It was tough to get a good picture, but here goes:

CherryWheat002.jpg

It doesn't look like it's getting any worse, whatever it is. The brew has been in secondary for about a week or so, I'm thinking maybe kegging it now and leaving pressurized in the keg for a couple weeks just in case.
I just went to bottle tonight and I have those exact same bubbles in my secondary. I freaked. They don't look like air bubbles.

I'm drinking this beer from the picture right now and it's phenomenal. I think they were clumping co2 bubbles, I wouldn't worry about it.:mug:

Yeah I went ahead and bottled anyways. Hydro sample tasted fine, so whatever.

BTW, what yeast?

Latest posts

Back