White Belgain Ales too dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a number of years and feel I know my way around the kettle.. somewhat :). However, when making light ales such as Belgian Whites, Blue Moon clones, etc.
I've never had the color come out truly white, like Blue Moon. The beers are good and hit their numbers but all of my efforts are somewhat a light golden, not white. I "assume" I just cannot match the grains the originals use? Any secrets on how you guys get this color correct on whites?

Light/bright yellow colour is easily obtainable with just Pilsner and (White) Wheat malts. Note that a clear beer with a SRM of 5 will look slightly darker than a hazy ( with proteins from oats or yeast in suspension ) beer with the same SRM colour.

But really light coloured beers are easy to brew, if you use very low colour malts, no Crystal or dark base malts, such as Pale, Pale Ale, Vienna, Maris Otter, Munich light and dark, which will darken the wort.

" White " colour is a combination of things: low colour malts, proteins and yeast in suspension, altogether making the beer look lighter. I've found out that Flaked oats make for a " white " haze.

I just made my first Belgian Wit and pulling the first pint it looks pretty good.
I did a 4 day cold crash and have plenty of haze and no yeast in suspension.

Not sure if this is color correct but here it is.
Around:
60% 2 row
40% white wheat
20180319_140922.jpg

Hmmm ... that looks suspiciously like .... Hoegaarden from a bottle.

BTW, I have a few H'gaardens stashed in the garage along with some Yards Jefferson Tavern Ale. The color looks really close to me. H'gaarden is a much lighter colored brew than Blue Moon.

Last edited:
Secrets?
Belgian or German Pilsner, white wheat malt, oats in the mash and unmalted wheat flour added at mashout.
Unmalted wheat provides a persistent light haze that won't really convert and stays in suspension.

I just made my first Belgian Wit and pulling the first pint it looks pretty good.
I did a 4 day cold crash and have plenty of haze and no yeast in suspension.

Not sure if this is color correct but here it is.
Around:
60% 2 row
40% white wheat View attachment 562717

Nice color, but you can go a little lighter by using Pilsner malt.

Nice color, but you can go a little lighter by using Pilsner malt.
I have 2 row so that's what I use. I would actually like it a little orangey in color. Maybe not to style but it would match the flavor and look good.
Any ideas how I would go about that without effecting flavor for next time?

I have 2 row so that's what I use. I would actually like it a little orangey in color. Maybe not to style but it would match the flavor and look good.
Any ideas how I would go about that without effecting flavor for next time?

I understand using what you have. It's all 2 row Barley.

I thought your Wit looked a lot like Hoegaarden with the light coming through. Nice job.

I was only commenting that if you wanted to go lighter you could use Pilsner malt, 1 Lovibond, instead of 2 Row at 1.8-2.0 L.

More orangey? I'd use more wheat.

I don't have a picture handy, but for my Hefe Weizens I use 5#, 12 oz Wheat malt and
3#, 12 oz Pale malt and it has a nice orange tinge to it.

After reading the many responses I believe my problem was that I had used standard 2 row instead of Pils. This compromise was out of necessity based on availability. Fortunately it has not affected the taste...

Thanks guys

Back