Whirlpooling with a copper chiller in the pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danweasel

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

So I am steadily plugging along brewing away and getting better and better with every batch. I am also acquiring more and more "essential" equipment. Two new improvements I am going to make on my next brew day are, whirlpooling and then siphoning the wort instead of just dumping it strait into the fermenter, and I want to use a copper coil wort chiller instead of an ice bath to cool the wort after boiling. So... I should whirlpool it while it is still hot right? But how can I do that with the chiller in the kettle? Should I just cool the wort and then be very careful about sanitation while stirring? I heard about the chiller/whirler thing at more beer but I don't have THAT kinda money.

I guess what I am asking is, how do YOU do it?

And, Thanks,

Dan

I can get a good whirlpool going while my IC is in the kettle. I usually start cooling mine, then I get a good whirlpool going and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before emptying. I don't siphon though...I drain from a ball valve on the side of my keggle.

I chill with IC, Then remove IC and whirlpool for two minutes, then let sit on stove top for 5 min. Then siphon to carboy,top off with chilled water,check temp and sample for SG, then pitch yeast. works like a charm! leaves all the hop trub in a cone in the center, when siphoning do it from the edge!

Thank you much guys,

I will hopefully be buying some copper tubing this weekend and get a friend to weld some hose fittings on the ends and wala!

Back