Whirlpool Hop Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My current process is to chill my wort to 150-160°, then add my hips and stir. I wrap my kettle up to help keep the temp up, but still loose 15-20° (1gal batches) over a 30min stand, and storing 1-2 times over that period. Do I/should I insulate/try to try and keep the temp up during this, or can I skip the insulating? Will letting the temp free-fall during this time have a negative impact on the whirlpool hops?

I do a hopstand with all of my IPAs, but it's a large batch so I don't lose that much in temperature.

I would guess that if you're doing it for 30 minutes, losing heat is probably not a bad thing as you get more isomerization at higher temperatures and so you are likely getting more aroma from your hops than you would if the temperature remained higher.

How do you like the results you're getting?

Thus far I like what I'm getting. I haven't experimented too much with my whirlpooling yet, and realistically fairly inexperienced with it. My thoughts on not wrapping was to reduce a step in my process, since I'm already loosing a decent amount of temperature, and if I could reduce the time taken to 70°, I could recude the te it takes to make a batch.

An additional thought, if I were to not wrap, would I increase the amount of aroma I'm getting/not loosing? And, should I increase my hop stand time to 45min (sorta oposite direction if I'm looking to reduce brewing time, I know)?

Bubble wrap, Reflectix, with some tape, or simply a double or triple folded over towel length-wise and a few bulldog clips have served me well over the years, not just with brewing. You also lose heat through the uninsulated lid, so lay something on top of that.

Since you're brewing small batches, I reckon you're using a stovetop? Can you leave the heat source on very low, or turn on intermittently, to keep your 150F for that 1/2 hour?

If you continue heating, depending on the kind of heat source, be careful with the type of insulation you'd use, and most likely refrain from using any to prevent it catching fire or melting, certainly with open flame or red hot coils.

Now I use an induction plate, so there's far less danger burning or melting anything as it is with other heat sources. For small 1-2 gallon batches an ~1800W induction plate should suffice.
I use a 3500W one for 5-6 gallon batches. During whirlpooling/recirculating I need to add 500-800W of heat to keep temps, without using insulation.

Isomerization (which turns hop oils into bittering compounds) tapers off fast (exponentially) at lower temps and is (virtually) non-existent at around 140F. Hop oil extraction also tapers off with lower temps, but will continue down to room temps or even lower (e.g., dry hopping), it just takes much, much longer. I don't know if it's bad to let your whirlpool/hopstand temps drop much below 140F, just keep the pot closed when not stirring and use good sanitation.

Another idea if you want to maintain heat would be to use your oven, that's how I maintained mash temps when I did one gallon batches. Basically, preheat the oven to the lowest temp it will go then turn it off. The downside: you must remember to turn it off! I ended up cooking my mash at 200 F for an hour once.

From what I've read, opinions vary widely as to the optimum temperature for hop stands. So I'd guess you're fine with the 15 - 20 degree drop. But you could try a batch using some make-shift insulation like a blanket and see if you like it any better. And I'd definitely recommend experimenting with the length of time for the hop stand, whether you insulate or not.

Thank you for the suggestions. Ive used my oven in the past, which works well (trying to avoid it getting into summer here). I've also looked at getting insulation to better insulate also. Everything I've read up talks about holding anywhere from 140° to 170°, and some with e en lower temps. I looking to better understand if there is an advantage to hold at say 155-160°, which is my usual starting tempratures, vs adding hops at 160°, and letting it cool slowly over 30-45min, thus reducing the amount of time I'm working to chill it?

Back