Whirfloc - possible fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spank

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing (about 6 kits and 2 all grains so far). I recently brewed the popular Centennial Blonde from this site. I added 1lb of local honey at flameout to try and tweak it to a honey blonde. Not sure if this is what is causing my issue;

I added a whirfloc tab at the 10min mark. After cooling, racking to glass carboy and pitching, about 20min later everything in the carboy dropped and the top 85% was crystal clear. About 5 hours later fermentation started to be visible. Shortly after that it became very intense. Everything in the carboy was swirling and moving. I was excited.

However now, a week later, the beer is very cloudy and doesnt look like its gonna settle out again. My blonde looks like a Heffe.

Is this normal? Is there a fix to get it be clear again? Should I be patient or is it ruined?

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.

It will settle with some time. Or if you have the capability to cold crash it then that would speed up the process of dropping everything out of solution.

Assuming you used the Nottingham specified in that recipe, it should clear very well on it's own. I brewed a similar recipe (just changed the hops) four weeks ago and it's pretty clear now. Last night I put it in to cold crash it for a few days before kegging it.

Thanks for the responses. I did use the Nottingham as the recipe suggested. I guess I just gotta be patient with it.

I agree with the above give it time and it will clear. Put it in the fridge once its done and it will get even better also you can use gelatin if you want it even better than that...but usually I only do that for lagers.

Back