Whirfloc / Irish Moss in Dark Beer needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvlpdillon

Reaction score
I haven't used either Whirfloc or Irish Moss yet. I know the point is to help "clear" the finished product by collecting the proteins at the at end of the boil so they can be siphoned off the wort.

I can see the point of using this is in lighter colored beers. Why would you use this in a stout, or porter. You can't see through the finished product so are there any other advantages? I have seen a few stout recipes that call for either.

I am brewing an RIS soon that will age for several months. So is it better to get more of the trub out early using Whirfloc, or IM or just let it filter itself to the bottom. What I mean by several months that 4-6 weeks in primary, and several months in secondary. Several more in bottles.

I know it won't hurt anything either way just curious if there advantages.

It can't hurt anything in terms of flavor.

A lot of darker ales like Milds, Irish Reds, German Alts and such benefit from clearing because they take on a nice ruby hue when cleared up and held to the light.

If your just brewing this to enjoy yourself, don't bother. Nobody will see the difference. If you've any inclination to enter the beer into a competition, a lot of judges will hold a small flashlight to the beer to try and determine clarity.

It might then be worth the couple of minutes to add the stuff.

Here's a mild I brewed with clearing agents. Makes for a nicer experience:

Doesn't look very clear here:
10Der_1.jpg

But hold it up to the light:
10Der_3.jpg

For what it's worth...I want to drink that mild right now....

It can't hurt anything in terms of flavor.

A lot of darker ales like Milds, Irish Reds, German Alts and such benefit from clearing because they take on a nice ruby hue when cleared up and held to the light.

If your just brewing this to enjoy yourself, don't bother. Nobody will see the difference. If you've any inclination to enter the beer into a competition, a lot of judges will hold a small flashlight to the beer to try and determine clarity.

It might then be worth the couple of minutes to add the stuff.

Here's a mild I brewed with clearing agents. Makes for a nicer experience:

Doesn't look very clear here:
View attachment 8476

But hold it up to the light:
View attachment 8475

Back