which to chose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZamaMan

Reaction score
Hey all,

First thanks for any input in advanced I appreciate how helpful this forum is from other ones, you guys rock! I know this question gets old but I was trying to figure out my next brew. I brewed my first batch last weekend which was a belgium golden strong ale clone of duvel. Its bubling away but will take a long time to be ready. I will also be brewing an IPA for my freinds this weekend along with something for me. (IPAs are too bitter for me)

Right now im loving ambers especially since I prefer the lower 30s IBU which ambers seem well suited for that. I would kinda like something that can be drunk young since I dont want something to hold us over soon but may end up breaking down and filling one of my kegs with beer from a micro brew to take the edge off of waiting.

Anyways I was debating between a few ambers as I want something kinda malty, and realitively hoppy.

I was looking at the brewers best red ale which I know is supossed to be good, was thinking of adding some extra hops but havent actually tasted it.

Also I was thinking of Coastarine's Kieran the Irish Immigrant American Amber Ale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Batch Size (Gallons): 5

Original Gravity: 1.059

Final Gravity: 1.014

IBU: 32

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

Color: 14 SRM

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7

Additional Fermentation: 3 wks @ 70 in bottle

Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

The best way to buy this recipe if you're doing extract is to buy the brewer's best red ale kit plus 2lbs Light DME, 1oz Cascade, and the yeast. You can use the nottingham dry yeast that comes with the kit, or you can use wyeast 1056 and save the dry for another brew.

1lb Crystal 60L

1oz Black Patent

^Steep at 160 for 20 mins

4 lbs Light DME

3.3 lbs Pale LME

1oz Cascade (5.5%) for 60 min

1oz Willamette (4.8%) for 30 min

1oz Willamette (4.8%) for 5 min

Not sure if my LHBS has Pale LME since I dont see it on the website(but they are still working on the site so maybe) They do have the pale ale malt 2 row but I was thinking extract since this is my second batch. In case they done have it what would be a good LME to replace the pale LME with? How would Briess Sparkling Amber LME change things? Also some caramel flavor sounds like it would be nice... would you add some caramel malt 80L?

Finally

amber ale from brewing classic styles:

English Pale Ale LME (3.5*L) 6.6 lbs

Munich LME (9*L) 0.7 lb

Steeping grains:

Crystal 40 0.75lb

Crystal 120 0.5lb

Victory (28*L) 0.5lb

Hops

Horizon 13% 60min .6oz

Cascade 6% 10min .25oz

Centennial 9% 10min .25oz

Cascade 6% 0min .25oz

Centennial 9% 0min .25oz

No horizon at my LHBS so what's a good bittering substitute?

Ferment with US-05 at 67*F

What do you guys think? Im kinda leaning towards the last one but i dont know how to translate the ingrediants to taste so im relying on your opinons.

Also how do you feel about drinking these soon after kegging to help hold me over while I wait for my strong ale.

Thanks alot guys

Salvador

an easy to find replacement for Horizon would be Columbus (about 14%).

If you are looking for a "quick beer" with low IBUs, I would recommend a Wit or American Wheat...

northern brewers carabou slobber is pretty good and sounds about right for what you're looking for.

northern brewers carabou slobber is pretty good and sounds about right for what you're looking for.

I thought of Caribou Slobber as well. It is a very balanced beer, but leans more toward malt flavors than hops. I found it very refreshing, easy to drink with no bitterness. I will be brewing this one again.

ZamaMan said:
That does sound really good too. Did it feel hoppy enough for you?

I didn't miss the hops, it was very balanced and the fastest 5 gallons of homebrew to ever dissappear from my keg!

Drank two moose drols tonight. Gotta say that is an awesome beer! A little too mellow to be my favorite beer but a very solid beer to have on tap regularly. I do like new castles brown ale but this beat the crap out of it! Liked the slight bitter chocolate, coffee with a touch of caramel flavor. The bitterness was there just enough to make it not taste too sweet, but I cant help but wish there was a little more bitterness in finish but I dont know if it would upset the balance of the beer. Ultimately I like ambers more but I may throw this into the fermenter saturday.

Anyone ever add little more bittering hops to the moose drool clone receipe?

heres the receipe
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

Ferment at 67, increase to 70 after the bulk of fermentation.

SG 1052 (Jamil noted that his numbers were 1 plato high, but it still was cloned)
FG ?
30 IBU (increased from 26 IBU based on Jamil's interpretation of the beer).

White labs WLP002
Wyeast 1968

10.8 lbs domestic pale malt or 7.4 lbs pale LME
5.5 ounces chocolate malt 400l
1.25 lbs crystal 75-80
0.5 ounce black patent 525l

1.4 oz (41g) EKG 4.75AA @60m
0.6 oz (14g) Williamete @10m
0.6 oz (14g) Liberty @ 0m

Mash @154F

Jamil stated that you could increase IBUs by 5 and keep the gravity or decrease OG by 4 degrees and keep the bitterness the same. It may be slightly closer to the original.

My LHBS doesnt have EKG hops So I was thinking of using US Kent Goldings 4.5%AA @ maybe 1.6 OZ or so. I was also considering doing this boil with 4 gallons or so..could even do 5 since Ill be using an outdoor burner. Will that help get some more hoppiness in the beer?

If i wanted to do a partial mash would i just cut the numbers in half, 5.4 lb domestic pale malt with 3.7 lb pale LME (prob 3.3 with a little DME or some more malt)? Also I would I steep at 154 as well as sparge at 154? How much water would I sparge with 1 gallon?

Back