Which regulator to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
Cheers HBT I am currently shopping for kegging equipment and have been wondering who makes a quality regulator not looking for the best just don't want the worst/cheapest any suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Chudnow. I have five primary regs now and love 'em.

They won't win any beauty contests, but they work well, are wicked easy to rebuild if necessary, and can be had considerably cheaper than Taprite or even Micro Matic, which are the two alternatives I might have considered (I do have a Micro Matic nitro reg, fwiw). The rebuild kit for a Chudnow costs less than $10 delivered and takes about five minutes to install.

I would avoid "store brand" regulators as many of them are outright crap and rarely have rebuild kits available...

[edit] Indeed, the first question one should ask when purchasing any regulator is "How much is the rebuild kit?"

Cheers!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-governor.html

I've bought a total of 3 regulators in my 12 years of home brewing, and the one at the link above is the regulator that I like the best. I wish I had a wealth of knowledge for you, but I'm limited on the subject. All I know is that one is the regulator that I like the best.... of the regulators that I've purchased in my 12 years of brewing.

Second the Governer. The adjustment knob is easier to deal with than the usual screw. Do yourself a favor and purchase a quality reg. It will last a long time if you treat it well. Make sure you have a check valve on it to protect from liquid backing into the reg body and a cage doesn't hurt as tanks will find a way to fall over and break the dials.

I love my Taprite. The slightly higher price doesn't bother me because it is a quality piece of equipment and will last a long time. The chudnow's also seem to be good from what I've read here.

I don't recommend a no name/store brand regulator that doesn't have re-build kits available. Those are just setting yourself up for buying another regulator in the future.

I'm particular to micromatic. Tap-rite is good too (just be careful of which thread orientation you get w/ taprite)

general features that may be of interest to you (not specific to any one brand):
  • knob vs screw. After two years of hunting around (before my upgrade) for a screwdriver it's nice to just be able to make a psi change. (btw, micromatic doesn't put a chintzy plastic knob on a screw)
  • pressure release. Some units can release pressure after you dial down the pressure (instead of waiting for you to let beer/pressure out)
  • check valve (doesn't work with #2). If the pressure in the keg is higher than output PSI then beer may flow back into the reg (not good!).

taprite or governor. I love my taprites - never had a problem.

One add'l suggestion - I use colored electrical tap and wrap a piece around the air hose coming out of the keg and another small piece on the respective knob of my taprite. I have 4 kegs and it helps me keep track of what keg is on what line (if you're going to have a system with 2+ kegs).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...red-Electrical-Tape-5-Pack-GTPC-550/100054213

Back