Which Pilsner Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Pilsen Malt?

• Canadian Malting Pilsen: $33.61

• Best Malz Pilsen Malt: $37.47

• Gambrinus Pilsen: $42.98

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going in on a group bulk grain order. I've already decided on some Golden Promise (since I have Marris Otter and have never used GP).

I want to buy a bag of Pilsner malt but am torn as to which one would be best. I have brewed one lager and want to keep a good Pilsner on rotation most of the year. The cost varies between the varieties, but if the quality is much higher, than I will pay the higher price.

The options I have are the following:
Canadian Malting Company Superior Pilsen: $33.61
Best Malz Pilsen Malt: $37.47
Gambrinus Pilsen: $42.98

What would you recommend?

Thanks for the input! Sounds like Best Malz is the winner so far. I think I agree that the German one would be best since I am planning to use it for German-style lagers.

Best. Weyermann would also be a contender, if it were available, as would Dingmans (though Belgian pils is not the same as German pils).

If I could get imported malts for those prices, I would only ever use Hugh Baird Pale Ale (Maris Otter) and Best Malz Pils malts for all of my brewing, across the board.

that is also a smokin good price for german pils, i get weyerman for 44 a sack and I thought i had the best deal around.

I've used Castle (and I have a sack coming tomorrow!) It's the strongest flavored pils malt I've used. I like it very much. I'm going to make wiess biers and lagers out of it. I also have a sack of Castle Munich coming with it.

I've used Castle (and I have a sack coming tomorrow!) It's the strongest flavored pils malt I've used. I like it very much. I'm going to make wiess biers and lagers out of it. I also have a sack of Castle Munich coming with it.

I also have Best Malz available. I was particularly eyeballing this product.

Best Caramel Malt Pils (2-3°L)
Best Caramel Malt Pils will aid in foam development and head retention as well as add extra body to your beer. This malt is best used in lager beers of all types including Pilsner, Light Lager and Bock beers.

But, what about Franco-Belges pils? Here's a snapshot of my catalogue.

Malteries Franco-Belges (MFB) is a division of the Soufflet Group, one of France’s leading grain companies. Their combined output of over one billion pounds of malt annually makes them the largest maltster in France, ensuring brewers a consistently fresh supply of malt. All of MFB’s base malts are made from highly modified premium two-row French spring or winter barley and wheat. Caramelized and roasted malts are made from six-row barley or wheat carefully selected from the growing fields of France to ensure maximum aroma and taste.

MFB Pilsen (1.6-1.8°L)
Light in color and low in total protein, MFB Pilsen malt is produced from the finest European two-row barley. This malt is extremely well modified and can easily be mashed with a singletemperature infusion.

I've never used any MFB base malts. I've used some of their caramel munich malts with great results. I'm surprised their made from six row. Like Castle it would be an excellent choice for Belgian ales and eurolagers. I'd like to use it but I can get Castle for $49+$15 shipping. I'll stick with it. The only pils I can get cheaper is Briess less modified. I don't care for it and it's only a few dollars less with shipping.

I ordered a few pounds Best Caramel Pills. I've never used it before. I guess it's more like carahell than Briess carapils having more of a sweet light caramel flavor.

:mug:

Thanks for the input everyone. I went for the Best Malz based on the polling results. Franco-Belges was an option too, but was a little higher priced. I don't believe Castle was an option in this group buy. I'll keep an eye out for that one in the future.

I've never used any MFB base malts. I've used some of their caramel munich malts with great results. I'm surprised their made from six row. Like Castle it would be an excellent choice for Belgian ales... I can get Castle for $49+$15 shipping. The only pils I can get cheaper is Briess less modified. I don't care for it and it's only a few dollars less with shipping.

I ordered a few pounds Best Caramel Pills. I've never used it before. I guess it's... more of a sweet light caramel flavor.

And, for me it is a matter of price as well $0.54/lbs and shipping is $80/pallet maximum for a pallet with up to 42 bags of mixed varieties. Still, that's like twice what the costs were only two or three years ago.

Regardless, $65/bag is a good price. And, I would probably use Castle malts if I had the choice. They are quite venerable and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I am new to the Belgian thing. I've drank them for years. 'Just in 14 years, haven't brewed one. Odd isn't it?

Latest posts

Back