Which oatmeal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enpitsu

Reaction score
I'm looking to do an oatmeal stout. My question...whats the difference in all the oatmeals out there and is there any difference in process?

I've seen recipes that call for flaked oats, rolled oats, steel cut oats...even McCanns Quick Oats.

Can I just go to the grocery market and buy a pound of steel cut oats and that'll be good?

I'm looking to do an oatmeal stout. My question...whats the difference in all the oatmeals out there and is there any difference in process?

I've seen recipes that call for flaked oats, rolled oats, steel cut oats...even McCanns Quick Oats.

Can I just go to the grocery market and buy a pound of steel cut oats and that'll be good?

Yes. But cook them first.

If you want to just toss the oats in the mash, you'll have to buy either "Quick" oats or flaked oats from the homebrew store. They are pregelatinized, so you don't have to precook them. Any "regular" oats should have a cereal mash before going into your mash. A cereal mash is just cooking them- like making breakfast cereal.

Back