Hazy - wheat substitute or alternative & yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi all - I've been asked to make a beer that is much like my "house IPA" only hazy. My experience with hazy is not something I generally try to do. That being said, I have had some success in the past. My questions:

WHEAT: Today, in the "brewery", I have pale malts, pils, some marris otter, crystal 60, and flaked oats. I realize oats will bring haze. But I don't have wheat on hand. I was wondering if there is a grocery store alternative? I'm not inclined to do an order for a single small batch (3gal/ 11 liter).

YEAST: Said house beer uses Wyeast 1056 which generally I find to be a clean/clear yeast. The only other options I have on hand are whitelabs 001 (which is essentially the same as 1056) and wyeast 1450 (Denny's Fav). Any thoughts? This beer will be about 6-6.2% with a simple 2 hop addition of Mosaic/Columbus in the boil and 1 addition of Cascade at the finish.

Just replace 20% of the base malt with unmalted wheat or spelt. You can directly use the flour from the supermarket (preferably whole grain flour), or you can use flaked wheat or spelt. Both don't need a cereal mash.

You don't want yeast derived haze. Yeast haze tastes like crap.

A few tablespoons of regular grocery flour added during the boil might do the trick as a cheater's method. I just did this for my witbier, just to make sure it doesn't turn clear like it did the last couple times before. I just bottled it a few days ago, so time will tell if the idea actually works.

To the naysayers, I say nay right back. Whatever works, that's what I'm gonna do.

You can get rolled oats at the grocery store, but not sure if there is a straight alternative for wheat malt at the grocery store. Personally, I find that haze comes from yeast/hops interaction. I would go 70-80% pale malt 20-30% flaked oats. Although 1056 will most likely produce a clear beer after a week or so in the keg. Don't use flour...

What hops were you planning on using? I find a heavy Citra DH will give you haze for days.

Throw in your dry hops while it's still fermenting, like 60-70% of the way. I did this with no wheat and no adjuncts and it was super hazy and was deliciously juicy.

Am I wrong? Can't you just buy wheat berries at a store like Outpost and mill them and add straight to the mash. Wheat gelatinizes at mash temps. malting only activates the enzymes so a cereal mash is not needed. Just treat as an adjunct that needs enzymes.

Am I wrong? Can't you just buy wheat berries at a store like Outpost and mill them and add straight to the mash. Wheat gelatinizes at mash temps. malting only activates the enzymes so a cereal mash is not needed. Just treat as an adjunct that needs enzymes.
Yeah I'd thought of that, after my previous submission to use flour. Wheat "berries" should be sold in little bags someplace, near the rice.

Hi all - I've been asked to make a beer that is much like my "house IPA" only hazy. My experience with hazy is not something I generally try to do. That being said, I have had some success in the past. My questions:

WHEAT: Today, in the "brewery", I have pale malts, pils, some marris otter, crystal 60, and flaked oats. I realize oats will bring haze. But I don't have wheat on hand. I was wondering if there is a grocery store alternative? I'm not inclined to do an order for a single small batch (3gal/ 11 liter).

YEAST: Said house beer uses Wyeast 1056 which generally I find to be a clean/clear yeast. The only other options I have on hand are whitelabs 001 (which is essentially the same as 1056) and wyeast 1450 (Denny's Fav). Any thoughts? This beer will be about 6-6.2% with a simple 2 hop addition of Mosaic/Columbus in the boil and 1 addition of Cascade at the finish.

Yeast choice is important here. Of all the hazy beers made with chico variants, they don't taste the same. Those slightly less attenuative and flocculant strains are part of the flavor and mouthfeel of those beers.

Many specialty grocers carry unmalted wheat berries. You may also find bulgur wheat at a wider range of grocery stores. Sometimes it is in world cuisine aisles (around middle eastern or African shelves), sometimes with rice, sometimes with pasta. It's cracked and blanched wheat berries, so it will work as well. Depending on how much wheat you need, wheat flour may be a suitable replacement.

Whole wheat berries do not gelatinize at mash temperatures. Wheat flour will gelatinize at mash temperatures but whole wheat needs a cereal mash. I know you can find plenty of homebrewing resources that say otherwise, but they are incorrectly repeating information about gelatinizing flour.

See:

https://foodeng.wisc.edu/images/publications/2001-4.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...at-starch-at-different-cooking_fig2_223295534

(you have to download the article but it shows gelatinization of whole wheat at mash temperatures is only about 50-60% gelatinization versus close to 100% at near boiling)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back