Oats and Oat Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
So I have gone through some threads about brewing with oat milk and had a few questions. I plan on doing an oatmeal stout and using oats as much as I can. Flaked oats, malted oats, oat milk. I have been reading and quite frankly think it makes more sense to just make some oat milk at home instead of buying it. My main question here is if I do make my own oat milk, what is the best spot to incorporate it? I have read people throwing it in the boil for the last 5 to 15 minutes. Is this just for sanitation purposes or could it plausibly be used in secondary for one final "oaty" push? Any thoughts or advice would be great.

What is the point of using "oat milk" (ridiculous term) instead of malted or even flaked?
Surely cost would be higher and efficiency lower. Is there some perceived desirable character involved?

Cheers!

What is the point of using "oat milk" (ridiculous term) instead of malted or even flaked?
Surely cost would be higher and efficiency lower. Is there some perceived desirable character involved?

Cheers!
My thought is that I’ve had too many oatmeal stouts that don’t taste like oats. Obviously it’s a fairly delicate flavor compared to other stout flavors but still. I was considering soaking a cinnamon stick in the oat milk to try to hit that oatmeal cookie taste. I just don’t know best practices

Back