Which hops (out of what I have) for a brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkb1983

Reaction score
Hi, first post here, as a mostly inexperienced brewer.

I put together a recipe for a clean brown ale, with some help from another forum. I have some hops on hand that I'd like to use for the bittering (I'd like it to be low IBU), if possible, just to save money. Here's what I have on hand:

Amarillo
Columbus
Centennial
Simply select
Hopshot syringes

I know that since they're just being used for bittering they won't have as much effect on the overall flavor as long as I calculate how much to use to reach my IBU goal, but given those choices, which would you use?

Thanks!

Hi, first post here, as a mostly inexperienced brewer.

I put together a recipe for a clean brown ale, with some help from another forum. I have some hops on hand that I'd like to use for the bittering (I'd like it to be low IBU), if possible, just to save money. Here's what I have on hand:

Amarillo
Columbus
Centennial
Simply select
Hopshot syringes

I know that since they're just being used for bittering they won't have as much effect on the overall flavor as long as I calculate how much to use to reach my IBU goal, but given those choices, which would you use?

Thanks!
Centennial and Columbus are both good choices. If you want low bitterness, don't do a 60 minute addition. 30, then a flame-out with maybe a 10 minute or dry hop depending.

American Brown ales are some of my favorites and I tend to make them pretty low alcohol, very malty with lots of hop flavor (late additions) but only a balancing (clean hop like Magnum and not much of it) bitterness.

all 3 of those are more typical IPA hops,higher alpha% and more assertive than what i would use for a brown ale. I'd definitely go easy on using any of them

I'd go with Centennial. Alpha acid would determine how much and how much time. Centennial should make a pretty good brown.

Columbus or Centennial.
If you care about style, either way you are likely making an American brown. bjcp 10C category.

Vote for Columbus. Hit your IBUs with 60 minute addition and then add some late to your preferences

If Simply Select is the Select I know of (German variety) I'd bitter with any of the other hops and use some really late-additions of the Select for flavour/aroma.

I just googled Simply Select and NB says its 70% ahtunam 30% chinook. so id go with them.
columbus or centennial is good to. 1/2 oz at 60 should do it depending on AA of them all.

Save the amarillo for your pale/ipas. dont waste it on a bitter addition. especially since u mentioned saving money.

personally id save all those hops for an IPA and get some nugget to bitter and willamette for flavor. maybe a little nugget for flavor too.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I was kinda hoping to use the Simply Select since I could save the others for a pale ale, but I really couldn't find anything about them so I didn't want to risk it. I think I'll just use them. I don't want to use any flavoring or aroma hops, that's what I meant to say instead of just saying a low IBU. I want the malt to be the star.

Back