Which dry yeast to use with an English IPA and a Mild ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MXDXD

Reaction score
I am about to successively brew an English IPA and a Mild, and I'm wondering which dry yeast I should use. I'd really prefer using the same yeast for both (being a 1-gallon brewer, its possible to use only one pack, especially with the second being a low-gravity beer), hence the question.

From what I gathered, Notty, S-04 would be the logical choices, but I'm a bit wary of Notty's temp requirements.

So, anybody has a suggestion ?

You dont want too high of an attenuater with a mild, unless you compensate in your mashing/grain bill, and in general a friutier yeast An IPA, you want high attenuation, and excessive yeast esters arent that welcome. So whatever you do is going to have to be a compromise.

Maybe windsor if the mild is more important? s-04 if the IPA is? Or maybe try the mangrove jack burton union yeast if it is available to you? (I havent used them, but that sounds like a dry version of wlp023)

I have a couple different English mild's I do as well as a nice hoppy amber (Levitation clone) and I always use S-04 on them. Always happy with the results. Both S-04 and US-05 are my two major go-to yeasts for most of my beers.

So... S-04 at high mash temp would be the way to go ? Or even some steeping ? Projected OG would be in the 1.035 for the Mild. A bit high end, but steeping would be a possibility... I guess.

a mild with a high mash temp or more crystal type malts, will work fine. Im not sure what you mean by steeping.

Use S04 - it'll work fine for attenuation, ferment high for esters and low for clean. MJ Burton Union would be good too, but doesn't have the esters that S04 does at higher temps. S04 works great in Browns and blonds also depending on fermenting temps.

Notty will dry out the beer too much like US05.

If you want it under attenuated and "sweet" go with Windsor or MJ Newcastle.

Giraffe : Other than Mild malt, potential grain bill has Victory, Crystal 40 and Chocolate.

Subrewing : so... IPA at around 60-65 and Mild in the low70ies, that would make sense ?

I really like Windsor. Everyone else seems to prefer S04, but I'm not crazy about that. Just have to try them both and see what your preference is. Neither will ruin your beer.

Giraffe : Other than Mild malt, potential grain bill has Victory, Crystal 40 and Chocolate.

Sumbrewing : so... IPA at around 61 and Mild in the 70ish, that would make sense ?

Yep, that sounds about right. Just as a heads up, S04 (Whitbread) ferments fast and drops like a rock. It can heat up a bit too, so don't forget to compensate for that. Don't be surprised to see it's done after day three, and nice and clear after a week or sooner. S04 can get a little "fruity" the higher the temps, just so you know. Down low (60ish) it's nice and clean.

Windsor makes a great mild, but attenuates too low for an IPA. Notty is great for an IPA, but too vicious for a mild. S04 is a nice middle of the road for both.

I finally brewed, bottled and tasted those beers.

The Mild is absolutely awesome. Totally undershot OG (ended up at 1.031), fermented at mostly between 66 and 68 for 13 days. Ended up at 1.010. Yep, 2.7 ABV. Bottling was messy and I might have screwed a few bottles. I drank of those messy bottles and it felt off. Again, I gave it just 14 days in the bottle, so that might have beer the cause. 5 days later, I had one of the clean bottles and it was totally awesome. Fruity, with the 3 specialty malts used (Victory, C40, Pale Chocolate) being noticeable.

I opened the IPA today, after 18 days of bottle aging. Fermented for 3 weeks at 65 (and lower at start) with a slight boost to 68 as I dry-hopped (Willamette). Finished at 1.012. One night of cold crashing was enough to bring it to clarity. It had something of a very slight alcoholic bite, nothing too detracting. Really crisp, pretty much what I was looking for.

Back