Friend wants to brew a weed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always Decarb or yer in for alot of wasted material: Put an Oz of good bud not ground, but only partially broken up, or three Oz of trim in a quart mason jar and screw lid on tight, but don't crank it. Preheat oven to 250 F. Put jar or jars in the oven for 30-40 min if yer oven holds a decent temp, 20-30 min if it fluctuates and gets hot.

Cannabutter: Bring two quarts (or more) water to a boil, and reduce heat. Add four sticks of butter to the simmer, and wait till it fully melts. Add the ounce of cannabis from one mason jar (don't grind it, leave it in chunklets) to the super low simmer. Keep the simmer super low. Stir once in a while. It's important to keep at least 3 inches or so of water under the cannabis chunklets... it's important to keep them off the bottom and direct heat. Let simmer for 45 min.

Filtering/separation: Place two layers of cheese cloth in a 4 qt pyrex bowl. Gently pour the hot water/butter/cannabis mix on top of the cheesecloth in the bowl. Gather the edges of the cloth up and pull it out of the bowl and suspend it above the bowl to drip. Once it's cool enough squeeze the last water/butter outta the plant material in the cheesecloth. Place bowl of water/butter mix into the fridge and leave it be for a few hours to overnight. The water and butter will seperate and the butter (now green) will harden. Cut a small wedge into each side of the butter and pour off and discard the water layer under the butter. Some times I remove and pat dry the underside of the butter disc, sometimes I don't bother. Bring a sauce pan of water to a gentle boil. Place the bowl with the cannabutter ontop as a doubleboiler. Once the butter is melted, pour it into a butter mold or mason jar and freeze. If left in the fridge it can go bad in as soon as a week.

Use responsibly.
Yes “ use responsibly “ is a understatement 🤣 people get brave and definitely store in freezer rancid canna butter is nasty

Yes “ use responsibly “ is a understatement 🤣 people get brave and definitely store in freezer rancid canna butter is nasty

Always Decarb or yer in for alot of wasted material: Put an Oz of good bud not ground, but only partially broken up, or three Oz of trim in a quart mason jar and screw lid on tight, but don't crank it. Preheat oven to 250 F. Put jar or jars in the oven for 30-40 min if yer oven holds a decent temp, 20-30 min if it fluctuates and gets hot.

Cannabutter: Bring two quarts (or more) water to a boil, and reduce heat. Add four sticks of butter to the simmer, and wait till it fully melts. Add the ounce of cannabis from one mason jar (don't grind it, leave it in chunklets) to the super low simmer. Keep the simmer super low. Stir once in a while. It's important to keep at least 3 inches or so of water under the cannabis chunklets... it's important to keep them off the bottom and direct heat. Let simmer for 45 min.

Filtering/separation: Place two layers of cheese cloth in a 4 qt pyrex bowl. Gently pour the hot water/butter/cannabis mix on top of the cheesecloth in the bowl. Gather the edges of the cloth up and pull it out of the bowl and suspend it above the bowl to drip. Once it's cool enough squeeze the last water/butter outta the plant material in the cheesecloth. Place bowl of water/butter mix into the fridge and leave it be for a few hours to overnight. The water and butter will seperate and the butter (now green) will harden. Cut a small wedge into each side of the butter and pour off and discard the water layer under the butter. Some times I remove and pat dry the underside of the butter disc, sometimes I don't bother. Bring a sauce pan of water to a gentle boil. Place the bowl with the cannabutter ontop as a doubleboiler. Once the butter is melted, pour it into a butter mold or mason jar and freeze. If left in the fridge it can go bad in as soon as a week.

Use responsibly.
Can you do it with Ghee instead, that should last longer in the fridge?

As long as its fat i think it will be fine, some people skim the foam from yhe butter for that reason to clarify it a bit so it has better stability

Ghee can be used, but not necessary. I don't know if cannaghee would last longer in the fridge than cannabutter. Good question.

I know cannabutter is good for at least a year in the freezer.

I make peanutbutter cookies with cannabutter for my wife and I.

The cookie recipe I use has half a stick of butter to make 10-15 cookies. One big one or two medium ones do me pretty well, but they are definitely only for end of the day decompression time. Experimenting with them in the daytime leads to a non-productive day.

1654603804154.png

https://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Cann...ooks&sprefix=keith+villa,stripbooks,99&sr=1-1

Use responsibly.
How do you suggest we add said butter to the beer?

I make peanutbutter cookies with cannabutter for my wife and I.

The cookie recipe I use has half a stick of butter to make 10-15 cookies. One big one or two medium ones do me pretty well, but they are definitely only for end of the day decompression time. Experimenting with them in the daytime leads to a non-productive day.
Been doing baked goods for many many years have my recipes perfected. We are looking for help brewing a weed beer.

I made a tincture with 200 proof food grade ethanol. It works great , but it tastes pretty gross. I take 1/8th teaspoon at a time. Couldn't imagine having that in a beer.

Maybe extract would work better. Distillate maybe? You want the weed flavor, but I don't think it'll come through like that.

I made a tincture with 200 proof food grade ethanol. It works great , but it tastes pretty gross. I take 1/8th teaspoon at a time. Couldn't imagine having that in a beer.

Maybe extract would work better. Distillate maybe? You want the weed flavor, but I don't think it'll come through like that.
Plus now if you want weed flavor they have terps of different varieties, not identical to the actual flowers but thats a way to get flavor/aroma without the chlorophyll

Did you decarb it first. Because this is what I was thinking. Make a tincture with high proof MS or EC and dose this into the beer one at a time. You can always do a hopped up IPA to cover the flavor if you wanted to. But to get the dank in, I would think you'd have to sacrifice some flower and tincture it green for the flavor. I guess if you wanted the whole batch dosed you could add it at packaging. Good luck. :mug:

Did you decarb it first. Because this is what I was thinking. Make a tincture with high proof MS or EC and dose this into the beer one at a time. You can always do a hopped up IPA to cover the flavor if you wanted to. But to get the dank in, I would think you'd have to sacrifice some flower and tincture it green for the flavor. I guess if you wanted the whole batch dosed you could add it at packaging. Good luck. :mug:
Yeah, gotta decarb it first. It doesn't taste good at all to me.

Reminds me of a (much) earlier time in my life trying an ice cream float with beer - If you like ice cream and you like beer, what could go wrong????

Never tried it again :no:

Reminds me of a (much) earlier time in my life trying an ice cream float with beer - If you like ice cream and you like beer, what could go wrong????

Never tried it again :no:
funny you should say that, i was just thinking of taking a founders breakfast stout and reduce it down to a syrup and use that as a ice cream topping drizzle

I like a burbon and raspberry/blackberry/blueberry/etc reduction as a drizzle for icecream. At least I used to, now a days I'm watching my sugar intake.

I like a burbon and raspberry/blackberry/blueberry/etc reduction as a drizzle for icecream. At least I used to, now a days I'm watching my sugar intake.
I hear ya , i like to watch my sugar as well stuff will get ya, using stout reduction in place of choc syrup in milk shake might be worth the diabetes or maybe just a waste of beer🤷🏻 Only live once

If your making a beer just to get high from then I’d just buy liquid THC that’s around 70% THC and add it in secondary or when you keg. How much liquid THC you would need is a bigger question 🤷‍♂️.

:off: I've had some beer floats that are pretty good. Stone's smoked porter makes a good one. Also with all of the pastry stouts out there these days I'd try one of those. Once the ice cream melts a little it sweetens the beer. I wouldn't use an IPA though. LOL :mug:

:off: I've had some beer floats that are pretty good. Stone's smoked porter makes a good one. Also with all of the pastry stouts out there these days I'd try one of those. Once the ice cream melts a little it sweetens the beer. I wouldn't use an IPA though. LOL :mug:

You know that’s a dam good idea, make a sweet pastry stout and add some liquid THC.

I don't think he said "top buds" to mean main colas. I took it to mean "quality cannabis".

The material he is using is most likely trim from the colas, and any larfy buds.

Latest posts

Back