Wheres zero on my hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Hello there hop heads...I just picked up another jug of distilled water for my star san mixture...good time to check that new hydrometer right?....I am just a bit confused where zero would be...I am thinking the top of the blue band, as in 5 hash marks above 1.00 correct?......I know another rookie question...thankx...Tom

At 60* F water has a static gravity of 1.000. Check the correction for your hydrometer and see if it at 1.000 @ 60*F.

so am I safe to assume that I should be using 60 degree distilled water?.. I think my hydrometer is off by a few...so that explains a few things..I am glad I asked thankx.....Tom

Assuming your hydrometer is calibrated at the factory for 60*. I have three at 60* and one at 67*. It should be written on the inserted paper in the neck of the hydrometer. I think most are 60*. If yours isn't, you will have to raise the water to 67*.. or do a conversion in something like Brewers Friend… I think theirs allows that.

If it is a little bit off you can move the paper by dropping the hydrometer about half an inch on a relatively hard surface. Of course use your best judgment. It takes about 10-20 small drops to move the paper in mine about 0.002 specific gravity. YMMV.

Ha.. you just want another member in the broken hydrometer club.

Actually, just interpolating should be pretty accurate. If you put it in distilled water at the proper temp and it's reading a point to two high or low.. just move the OG number up or down to compensate.. results would be in perfect alignment. It's not a logarithmic function.. You just have to remember to do it..

If it is a little bit off you can move the paper by dropping the hydrometer about half an inch on a relatively hard surface. Of course use your best judgment. It takes about 10-20 small drops to move the paper in mine about 0.002 specific gravity. YMMV.

Relatively hard surface would be like a hardcover cookbook, not concrete. Stay out of the broken club by not picking the hydrometer up by the neck and shaking it.

ummm thankx for the replies..and I have been a member of the club 2 wice over now lol....Tom

Back