wheres the raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwill69

Reaction score
So i brewed this Raspberry ale/wheat,every thing whent fine..i let it ferment an kept in primary for 7 days. Then racked into secondary on top of 40oz. of frozen raspberries..after 7 more days i bottled but when i tasted ..no raspberry flavor..just tartness.I researched lots of other recipies too find out how much berries to use and 40oz seemed a good amount..will maybe the flavor be better after conditioning? this my recipie
  • 3lb. golden light
  • 3lb. bavarian wheat
  • 1lb.crystal 10l
  • .5 lb. victory
  • 2lb. clover honey
  • 2oz. cascade
  • wyeast 1056
  • 40oz. raspberries (in secondary)
  • OG.1.058
  • FG. 1.013
Ive read several threads and some use even less and get good flavor.Where did i go wrong?Wish i would have had some rasp extract when bottling (just in case)

humm i dunno if the raspberries you used still had seeds in them maybe that could be why , i made a raspberry beer with a can of seedless puree raspberries and it had good flavor i think it was a 49 oz can.

I have heard that the only way to get a lot of berry flavor is to use extract.

I made a raspberry wheat about a year ago. I added about 4 pounds into the secondary as you did. They were fresh raspberries too. I had a lot of flavor and a little bit more sweetness than i wanted, but i was def. a crowd pleaser.

There was a lot more flavor once the beer was drinkable. Very pronounced. Not much flavor during secondary though.

the flavor should develop more, but you won't necessarily taste raspberry like you think of raspberry. the tartness you are getting is the raspberry. the sugar in them ferments and alters the flavor.

I made a Raspberry IPA where I racked on top of only 36oz of frozen raspberries for a week (with dry hop). I could taste raspberry during bottling and still taste it after bottle conditioning. And that is with a boatload of hops.

My guess is that only leaving it in the primary for 7 days might be your problem. When you racked onto the raspberries, the fermentation may not have been completely done and the yeast fermented all the wonderful flavors away? Just a guess. They will ferment the sugars regardless, but I don't know if yeast from a 7 day primary are different than a 14 day primary that I did before racking onto raspberries.

The carbonation will help either way.

I racked onto raspberries and now have a very tart raspberry flavour. It bites at the first sip, but becomes more and more enjoyable as I go.

B

well last weekend iwas playin pool at my parents house when my mom pulled out one of my long lost raspberry beers.. I was soo excited,mainly non of my brews last more than a few weeks. Long story short it was conditioned 4 months and was awsome...mellowed out the tartness, but still enough to let you know that it was raspberry......Wish i could hide a few of all my brews just to see how they age

My brew partner and I always bottle 2 big bottles for aging. We get the dogfish head 1pt 9oz bottles, drink and clean before bottling. All of our batches still have their corrosponding big bottles and are going to be tested at about 9 months aging. We think its a good way to do things, cause then after the age you still have more than 12oz when it comes time to drink them.

Back