where to get great extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Hi,

For a long time now I've brewed with grain, but I'd like to do a few extract batches again. Is there a consensus on where one can find the best malt extract. I'm mostly interested in the flavor, but if it's cheap too I won't complain. ;)

I'd much appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks,
Monk

Most advanced extract brewers only use the lightest DME available. Then use steeping grains to get flavor and color, but there are limitations which can be steeped successfully, some specialty malts really need to be mashed, as well as any raw and flaked goods. You could do a mini mash in a pot in the oven to accomplish that.

Many use Briess Pilsen Light DME, or if they can buy it fresh, the LME version of it, poured from a 15 or 30 gallon barrel. Prices vary, but it's never really cheap. It's easy to spend $3.50-4.00 a pound on it. Or more.

For wheat beers, buy wheat DME, it's usually between 50/50 or 65/35 wheat/barley.

Muntons also has good DME, they're really good for English styles. But you run into the same issue if you want to use torrefied wheat, you need to (mini) mash it.

Depending on where you live, and how much extract you're talking about, shop for price and perhaps buy in larger quantities, like a whole sack. We order 50# sacks of Briess Pilsen Light DME through our group grain buy, and split them among the takers. The price is quite lucrative that way, alas, you need to drive up to collect it, etc. I only use it to make starters, but easily go through 20# a year.

I'll brew some extract versions from time to time, but have never really been satisfied with my 100% extract brews. I don't really think there is a "best" extract, although freshness seems to make a difference.
At this point (to suit my particular tastes) I'm thinking adding hops and or fruit to "cover up" the extract flavor is essential.
I'm going to try a Wheat DME/Lacto Berliner style brew this summer when the ambient temps get a little higher.
Something like this, maybe add lime & sea salt:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/training-wheels-berliner-good-intro-to-sours.579458/

Thanks for your input, everyone. I've made some great extract (plus grains) beers over the years, and then others that tasted twangy. Hit and miss and I think it has to do with freshness, probably. That's why I'm asking where people get "great" extract...in other words, where have you found consistently fresh DME or LME?

I'll certainly be adding grain, as well. In the past I've done a light mini-mash (whatever specialty grains are called for, plus a pound of base) and that seems to help the overall fermentation and flavor, even if it doesn't add much to the gravity.

Freshness? Original factory sealed is best. If buying loose, in bulk, repackage in smaller (1-3#) amounts ASAP, under dry conditions.

When I brewed extract, I had bought several 3# Briess DME bags (LD Carlson rebrand) then moved onto all-grain exclusively. They ended up being over 5 years old by the time I used them (for making starters), and they were as fresh as if bought today, no off flavors whatsoever. Even the bulk stuff I get at the group buy lasts for years, stored cool and dry. I repackage in 1 gallon freezer bags with the zipper slider, and squeeze or suck all air out with a straw, carefully.

LME doesn't fare as well with age, possibly from stability issues due the residual water content.

Back