Where to find short-neck bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoodring

Reaction score
Hey guys . . . the only new bottles I've been able to find are long necks. The short neck bottles fit so much better in the fridge and, in my mind, they look so much cooler. . anyone ever find any for sale?

I just drink a bunch of Sierra Nevada. I happen to like their Tumbler Brown and PA, so it works out well for me.

Love the Tumbler .. and that is the perfect bottle. But I can't drink enough beer to generate enough bottles to keep up with the amount of brewing I want to do (plan to do anyway -- just getting started).

Can I buy those bottles somewhere?

Actually a new Michigan brewery "North Peak Brewing Company" just started using them. I don't know if they are available out your way, but I am excited. And the beer is pretty tasty as well.

54901.jpg

I'm saving them for my 50th birthday barleywine, and am actually going to etch them using acid etch.

Try Midwest Supplies website or Williams Brewing website. They might have them for sale. I have heard of people buying them from these two companies in the past. Not sure if they still carry them.

Obviously they are the pretty close to Red Stripe bottles. Except Red Strip screen prints on their bottles, and it is pretty hard to remove. It seems there's 2 printing plants that use slightly different paint, soaking even in starsan can remove paint on some of the redstripe bottles, but on some even the hardiest commercial stripper doesnt' seem to cut it on them.

Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Abita all have stubby bottles. But Abita has their name and some grain design raised on the glass.

So the short answer is, if you want to Home Brew into a short stubby, you are going to have to drink a bunch of beer first . . . dang . . oh well, if that is what I have to do.

I just had a six pack of Red Hook ESB that was bottled in stubbies. In fact, if I recall correctly, all of their beers were in stubbies on that visit.

Revvy said:
Actually a new Michigan brewery "North Peak Brewing Company" just started using them. I don't know if they are available out your way, but I am excited. And the beer is pretty tasty as well.

I'm saving them for my 50th birthday barleywine, and am actually going to etch them using acid etch.

I saw some North Peak bottles the other day with longer necks. Not a fan, in fact I'd love to bottle my cyser in North Peak stubbies, but I don't know if that's going to happen if they changed their bottle.

I saw some North Peak bottles the other day with longer necks. Not a fan, in fact I'd love to bottle my cyser in North Peak stubbies, but I don't know if that's going to happen if they changed their bottle.

They seem to be using both styles sometimes for the same beer. Don't know why. But I've seen both for the same style of beer in the same store.

I just grab all the stubby ones when I want them.

So the short answer is, if you want to Home Brew into a short stubby, you are going to have to drink a bunch of beer first . . . dang . . oh well, if that is what I have to do.

Pretty much. I've never seen 12oz stubbies sold empty in small quantities.

awoodring said:

Why waste money on empty bottles.....

Redhook switched to stubbies, though they never used to be. Summit also uses stubbies.

I had a lot of fun drinking a lot of beer this spring trying to gather up 6-7 batches worth of bottles. Maybe I should start over?

A local Microbrewery was turning out a Bohemian Lager in the 70's style stubbies a couple of year ago. I got a few friends on board and amassed a collection of 150 or so. Earlier this week I picked up 10 cases more off of a local classified site. These ones though are actually from the 70's, and in their original cases. They're clean, but dusty.

Here are a few of the brands represented.

photo(1).JPG

Redhook was my favorite beer before i started brewing and since i like uniformity in my bottles that is all i ever buy anymore when i run out of my own stuff. And yeah they changed over to stubbies about a year ago maybe less.

Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Abita all have stubby bottles. But Abita has their name and some grain design raised on the glass.

One warning on Abita bottles... they have a narrower collar than typical bottles. By the collar I mean the part that the capper grabs on to. This seems to lead to higher levels of breakage when capping. At least it has for me.

RussH said:
A local Microbrewery was turning out a Bohemian Lager in the 70's style stubbies a couple of year ago. I got a few friends on board and amassed a collection of 150 or so. Earlier this week I picked up 10 cases more off of a local classified site. These ones though are actually from the 70's, and in their original cases. They're clean, but dusty.

Here are a few of the brands represented.

Well, that confirmed it. I'm not a collector. I saw those and just want to strip the labels off and put my brew in there.

Small Chimay bottles...Luckily i get them free at work.
Poured straight into a goblet,then immediately washed out with near boiling water.(and the labels fall off with a five min soak)

chimay.jpg

Latest posts

Back