Where to find 100% NaCl for the mash water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I understand that it is table salt that we use for cooking...but there are several types. I am wondering which one is pure 100% NaCl that is for brewing?

Does anyone know?

The danger with 'Table Salt' is that in North America it contains iodine which is a yeast poison. To get around that most brewers use Kosher salt which does not contain iodine. Another possible source migt be the 'purified' salt used by sausage makers.

I understand that it is table salt that we use for cooking...but there are several types. I am wondering which one is pure 100% NaCl that is for brewing?

Does anyone know?

Why are you adding NaCl? Sodium is not required and too much (100ppm+) can be a problem. Na+ doesn't really do anything in the process and if you want to add Cl- the Calcium salt CaCl2 is a much better choice. If for some reason you want to add NaCl use a pickling salt or a brand of Kosher salt without additives.

Why are you adding NaCl? Sodium is not required and too much (100ppm+) can be a problem. Na+ doesn't really do anything in the process and if you want to add Cl- the Calcium salt CaCl2 is a much better choice. If for some reason you want to add NaCl use a pickling salt or a brand of Kosher salt without additives.

I only wanna add 1,2 g....I already have all the desired amount of the rest of the minerals. It is a little bit of Cl and Na that I'd like to add...to reach Cl:97, Na: 16.8. I am wondering if we need Na at all in a brew......

Back