Where to Bottle for Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
So, I think my home brew may have stopped fermenting. I should be ready (after hydrometer readings, etc) to start syphoning to bottles soon.

I've been fermenting my beer in my cellar, which is quite cold and damp. Do you think I should move the fermenting bucket elsewhere to bottle? Do I need to be overly worried about wild yeast spores in the air?

Also, should I worry about that whilst taking a hydrometer reading? Do I just take the lid off to do that?

As long as your cellar is clean and dry, you can bottle down there. When I bottle, I bring my fermentor up from the basement in to our laundry room. I let it sit for a hour to let things settle back to the bottom after sloshing it up the stairs. If your sanitizing practice is solid you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just limit the amount if time your lid is off the fermentor. Cheers!

Where is the easiest place to sanitize your bottles and have them ready for the bottling process? This will dictate where the bottling process should take place. For me, that is in the kitchen.

Use a wine thief or turkey baster to pull a sample for the gravity reading.

Latest posts

Back