Where do you dump your trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
See subject.

I had been putting it down the garbage disposal in slow increments. I made a DIPA that I bottled a few days ago which I dry hopped 2 oz of leaf in. Well, when I put it in the disposal, I started getting hops in the bathtub. Even though this sounds like a glorious way to take a bath, the wife wasn't as exuberant about it as I was. =P

I would dump it in the garden, but I don't want the dog to climb over the fence and get any hops and get sick.

So... where do you dump your trub?

I've just been dumping it down my garbage disposal. So far so good but if anyone has any better ideas I'm all ears!

If you dump something in your sink, and it ends up in a bath tub, you may want to talk to your plumber, something seems wrong there.

Yea. This is a sign of sewer lines that are not draining by gravity correctly and/or a sump or Septic tank problem.

I dump mine in the front yard since my dogs are in the fenced backyard and I have 2 acres.

I'd keep the hops out of your plumbing as much as you can, even if you have a disposal. The resins will help gum stuff up sooner rather than later. If your trub only consists of beer fallout and yeast, then that stuff is great for sewer lines and even better for septic systems.

Compost pile along with grains

I certainly dump all my spent grain in the compost but I wasn't sure how all the yeasties would affect it. Seeing your post made me do some quick googling and I found lots of articles on yeast and compost. Looks like I'll be dumping all my trub into the ol' compost bin from now on.

I dump right in my driveway. I have a pretty good incline sloping down to the road, and there is a storm drain in the road directly across the street. I use hop bags in my boil, so I just throw those away before I dump. I figure I do a good bit of cleanup afterwards, so it rinses pretty well down to the drain.

It almost makes me feel bad though, because like clockwork, each time I'm cleaning up, a couple neighbors decide to walk their dogs and have to walk through my water/soap/trub. I suspect they're curious as to what I'm doing, but whatever, they can cross the street if they don't want their feet wet.

I dump it the toilet. Hops are always in sacks,& they get emptied in a blue plastic bag,tied off & into the garbage can. don't want the dog getting into them.

Garbage disposal isn't really ment for a lot of garbage like a ton of hops its fine without hops. As for the hops coming back up the tub you need to have a plumber snake your waste lines.

I dump my trub in the bathtub while I'm washing out and cleaning my kettle.

yeah sorry, I forgot to mention that the wife didn't like it because we had to pay a plumber $150 to snake out our main line. The block was about 50 feet down. Tried to snake it out myself but only had a 25 footer. Maybe I should just dump it over my fence into my neighbors yard =D

I'm a landlord and that makes you a jackass.:smack:

+1. Someone has to pay for fixing whatever tears up in a rental. Think the landlord eats the expense? Nope! Passes it along in the rent price! If your rent goes up, don't whine!

I live in an urban area and my spent grains go to the urban chicken farmers in my neighborhood. If they are not around, I take the spent grains to the "Handsome Cab" stables downtown for the horses.

I toss it into my 55 gallon rotating compost maker. It adds a bit of ooomph to the batch and the bacteria help break down the rest of the stuff in the mix. No smell, no mess, no bugs, happy hops plants when I apply the compost and fertilizer from the horse barn nect door.

Wheelchair Bob

I dump my troub into my sink, while running hot water, and rinse out the bucket.

Grains, I keep about 4 - 8 cups, to make dog treats with, the rest i dump in the field behind my house. I need to start keeping more though, maybe even get a coffee grinder to make flour with.

or a spinal tap song:

she's got dumps like a trub
and it shows in the show-ah
she's got dumps like a trub
and my wife made a holl-ah

I like to dump my trub right on the middle of the sidewalk so it looks (and smells) like someone puked their guts out!

Hilarious to watch people approach and walk around the pile of trub. Muaahahahahahaha!

:D

Grains i put in cupcake pan and freeze. Then put the whole grain cupcakes in baggies for storage. one in the bird feeder at a time. Or can make dog treats whenever.

the gunk trub I put in the kitchen trash and tie off. It ends up in the landfill, hopefully no dogs have to go there to eat.

Only have done 2 batches, but I dump the trub in the backyard on the grass. We don't have dogs, so no worries.

Ya you should call a plumber. But i also dump mine in the front yard cause my dogs are in the back yard fenced in on almost 3acres. So i just dump it in the grass out front never had a problem.

If I did not dry hop and there is just yest cake in the bottom of the fermentor I just rinse the trub down the drain as it is great for my septic system.

I've got a drain in my garage...so everything goes down it.

It ends up going into the sewer but it's a direct line to the main going to the sewer so I don't worry too much.

No mess, no stink, no worries or at least I think so

Trub and hops won't kill grass? I see a lot of you do it this way and I'm curious to know how it affects the grass.

If no hops I dump down drain. If hops in trub i dump in back yard. If you don't want your dog dying from eating my hops keep him out of my yard, especially in winter, dog crap tends to build up in the winter. I am about to pull a Me, Myself, and Irene and start crapping in my neighbors yard.

Everything goes in the compost here, grains, hops, dry hops, trub from kettle and fermenter. I don't wash anything down the drain after reading a thread on here about someone's dishwasher drain clogging with hop gunk. Only problem now is my compost bin is overflowing!

Back